The Grotto (1732)
- Nor bigots who but one way see,
Through blinkers of authority.
- Line 165.
The Spleen (1737)
- To cure the mind's wrong bias, Spleen,
Some recommend the bowling green;
Some, hilly walks; all, exercise;
Fling but a stone, the giant dies.
- Line 89.
- Fling but a stone, the giant dies.
- Line 93.
- Avarice, sphincter of the heart.
- Line 697.
- Thus I steer my bark, and sail
On even keel, with gentle gale.
- Though pleased to see the dolphins play,
I mind my compass and my way.