|This People article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Quotes of Max Pechstein
- Now I drew as wildly during my tramps [during his walks through the Saxonian countryside] as I has fought before [in his early youth]
- As quoted in German Expressionist Painting, Peter Selz, University of California Press, 1974, p. 90
- We desire to achieve to the socialist republic not only the recovery of the conditions of art, but also the beginning of a unified artistic area for our time. [Pechstein and others initiated in Nov. 1918 in Berlin the Novembergruppe, a socialist artist-group, competing then with Die Brücke.
- As quoted in German Expressionist Painting, Peter Selz, University of California Press, 1974, p. 313
- In 1907 I was most strongly influenced by w:Giotto during my first Italian trip, as well as by Etruscan sculpture and the early Etruscan landscape painting in the Vatican library in Rome.
- In his letter to Georg Biermann (1920); as quoted in Georg Biermann - Max Pechstein, Leipzig 1920, p. 14
- Pechstein answers to Biermann's question: which 'primitives' had influenced him in his early painting style
Quotes about Max Pechstein
- Soon [after visiting Italy and studying the early 'primitive' Renaissance painters] Pechstein, like Gauguin before him, felt the urgency to go further in the search for the primitive beginnings of men, art and life. He expected to find an equivalent to his own vital energy and sensual impulses among native tribes. After long plans he sailed early in 1914 from Genoa.. ..to the island of w:Palau, at that time a German colony east of the Philippines.
- w:Peter Selz, in German Expressionist Painting, Peter Selz, University of California Press, 1974, p. 291