Michael Wayne Godwin (born October 26, 1956) is an American attorney and author. He was the first staff counsel of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and was general counsel for the Wikimedia Foundation between July 2007 and October 2010.
- As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
- The decisions we make about the Internet don't affect just the Internet – they are answers to basic questions about the relationship each citizen has to the government and about the extent to which we trust one another with the full range of fundamental rights granted by the Constitution.
- The remedy for the abuse of free speech is more speech.
- Cyber Rights — cited in DeCandido, GraceAnne A. (August 1998). "Cyber Rights: Defending Free Speech in the Digital Age". Booklist 94 (22).
- Striking a balance in favor of individual rights has always been the right decision for us and that it remains so even when technology gives us new ways to exercise those rights. Individual liberty has never weakened us; freedom of speech, enhanced by the Net, will only make us stronger.
- Cyber Rights — cited in Kim, June (Summer 2004). "Cyber Rights: Defending Free Speech in the Digital Age". Law Library Journal 96 (3): 542–544.
- Let today be the first day of a new American Revolution - a Digital Revolution, a revolution built not on blood and conflict, but on language and reason and our faith in each other.
- In short, individual freedom of speech leads to a stronger society. But knowing that principle is not enough. You have to know how to put it to use on the Net.
- "Cyber Rights: Defending Free Speech in the Digital Age": 17.
- I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 or 20 years from now she will come to me and say, "Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'
- As EFF staff counsel, cited in "EFF Quotes Collection 19.6", 9 April 2001.
- Godwin's Law — Mike Godwin's blog, inactive as of late 2006
- Search for "Mike Godwin" in Wired articles
- Search for "Mike Godwin" in Public Knowledge articles
- Index of Godwin's articles in Reason magazine
- August 2008 interview with Godwin in SuperLawyers