Minority Report (film)
Minority Report is a 2002 film is which is loosely based upon a short-story by Philip K. Dick. Set in the year 2054 A.D. where a special police department called "Precrime" apprehends criminals based on foreknowledge, provided by three psychics termed "precogs"
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- In the middle of the civil war, for example, Abraham Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus observing that a limb may be sacrificed to save a life, but a life is never wisely given to save a limb.
- But it didn't fall. You caught it. The fact that you prevented it from happening doesn't change the fact that it was going to happen.
- In 2054, the six-year Precrime experiment was abandoned. All prisoners were unconditionally pardoned and released, though police departments kept watch on many of them for years to come. Agatha and the twins were transferred to an undisclosed location, a place where they could find relief from their gifts. A place where they could live out their lives in peace.
Dr. Iris Henimen
- I was doing genetic research at the Woodhaven Clinic in Rhode Island on Renning's Syndrome, a neurological condition that affects the cerebral cortex of children. All these kids were born with severe brain damage, most died before the age of 12. Those few, those precious few who survived, they had a gift. They would wake up in the night, curled up in the corner of the room, screaming, clawing at the wallpaper. Because, when these little children, if they closed their eyes at night, they dreamt only of murder. And it didn't take long for us to realize that the real nightmare was that these so called dreams were about to become true, that these murders were actually happening!
- Well, in my experience, parents often see their children as they want them to be, not as they are.
- Sometimes, in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.
- It's funny how all living organisms are alike. [She starts crushing a mutated plant] When the chips are down, when the pressure is on, every creature on the face of the Earth is interested in one thing and one thing only: [the plant scars her palm] its own survival.
- [Offering John the antidote to a plant that has poisoned him] You'd better drink this. Soon you won't be able to swallow, and then you'll be totally buggered.
- Can you see?
- You still have a choice.
- You can choose …
- We don't choose the things we believe in; they choose us.
- Gideon: Careful, Chief. You dig up the past, all you get is dirty.
- Gideon: You're part of my flock now, John.
- Lycon: It's like my daddy used to say: in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
- Dr. Solomon Eddie: You do understand I can't just give you new irises. The scanners will read the scar tissue, alarms will go off, and large men with guns will appear …
- Wally the Caretaker: I like you, Chief. You've always been nice to me. I'll give you two minutes before I hit the alarm.
- John Anderton: [about Witwer's father] What does he think about your chosen line of work?
- Danny Witwer: I don't know. He was shot and killed when I was 15 on the steps of our church in Dublin. I know what it's like to lose someone close, John. 'Course, nothing is like the loss of a child. I don't have any children of my own, so I can only imagine what that must've been like. To lose your son – in such a public place like that. At least now you and I have the chance to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen to anyone –
- John Anderton: Why don't you cut the cute act, Danny boy, and tell me exactly what it is you're looking for?
- Danny Witwer: Flaws.
- John Anderton: There hasn't been a murder in 6 years. There's nothing wrong with the system, it is--
- Danny Witwer: Perfect. I agree. But if there's a flaw, it's human. It always is.
- Danny Witwer: I thought they stopped the murder?
- Jad: That's just an echo. Precog déjà vu. Some of the really bad ones, the precogs see over and over again.
- Lamar Burgess: You can't run, John!
- John Anderton: Everybody runs.
- John Anderton: You can tell me how someone could fake a pre-vision.
- Dr. Iris Henimen: How would I know that?
- John Anderton: Because you invented Precrime.
- Dr. Iris Henimen: [laughs dryly] If a series of genetic mistakes and science gone haywire can be called "invention", then yes, I invented Precrime.
- John Anderton: You don't sound very proud.
- Dr. Iris Henimen: I'm not. I was trying to cure them, not turn them into something else.
- John Anderton: Cure who?
- Dr. Iris Henimen: The innocents we now use to stop the guilty.
- John Anderton: You're talking about... the Precogs.
- Dr. Iris Henimen: You think the three in the tank came out of a test tube? They are merely the ones who survived.
- John Anderton: I'm not a murderer. I've never even met the man I'm supposed to kill.
- Iris Henimen: And yet, a chain of events has started, a chain that will lead inexorably to his death.
- John Anderton: Not if I stay away from him.
- Iris Henimen: How can you avoid a man you've never met?
- John Anderton: Why should I trust you?
- Dr. Iris Henimen: You shouldn't. You shouldn't trust anyone. Certainly not the Attorney General who just wants it all for himself, and not the young Federal agent who wants your job, not even the old man who just wants to hold on to what he created. Don't trust anyone. Just find the Minority Report.
- Rufus T. Riley: Yeah, being concert master for the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra is one of our most popular choices.
- Customer: No, no, no. I wanna kill my boss.
- Rufus T. Riley: You sick bastard. You're the kind of person that makes this a terrible world to live in!
- Agatha: Think about all the lives that little girl has saved.
- Lamar Burgess: Think about all the lives that little girl has saved. Think about all the lives she will save. That little girl could have saved Sean...
- John Anderton: Don't you EVER SAY HIS NAME!!
- Male Precog: You used the memory of my dead son to set me up.
- John Anderton: You used the memory of my dead son to set me up!! That was the one thing you knew would drive me to murder!
- Male Precog: What are you going to do now, Lamar?
- John Anderton: What're you going to do now, Lamar?!
- Male Precog: How are you gonna
- John Anderton: shut me up?!
- Male Precog: Forgive me, John.
- John Anderton: No doubt the precogs have already seen this.
- Lamar Burgess: No doubt.
- John Anderton: You see the dilemma, don't you? If you don't kill me, the precogs were wrong and Precrime is over. If you do kill me, you go away, but it proves the system works. The precogs were right. So, what are you going to do now? What's it worth? Just one more murder? You'll rot in hell with a halo, but people will still believe in Precrime. All you have to do is kill me, like they said you would. Except - you know your own future, which means you can change it if you want to. You still have a choice, Lamar. Like I did.
- Lamar Burgess: Yes. I have a choice. And I've made it. Forgive me, John. [Fires gun] Forgive me... [Leans against John for support] Forgive me, my boy... [Collapses to the floor, and dies]
- What would you do if you were accused of a murder you had not committed … yet?
- Everybody Runs
- The system is perfect until it comes after you.
- Get Ready to RUN!
- The Future Can Be Seen. Murder Can be Prevented. The Guilty Punished Before the Crime is Committed. The System is Perfect. It's Never Wrong. Until It Comes After You.
- You Can't Hide
- Tom Cruise – Chief John Anderton
- Colin Farrell – Danny Witwer
- Max Von Sydow – Director Lamar Burgess
- Steve Harris – Jad
- Neal McDonough – Fletcher
- Samantha Morton – Agatha
- Patrick Kilpatrick – Knott
- Jessica Capshaw – Evanna
- Lois Smith – Dr. Iris Hineman