Miracle on 34th Street (1994 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Miracle on 34th Street is a 1994 American Christmas fantasy film written and produced by John Hughes, and directed by Les Mayfield. It is the fourth remake (and the second theatrical version) of the original 1947 film. Like the original, this film was released by 20th Century Fox.
Experience the Miracle. (taglines)
- [first lines]
- Grandson: Ask him. Ask him. Look at him, Grandpa. Ask him!
- Judge Harper: [to Kris] Uh, I'm sorry. He, uh... He thinks you're Santa Claus.
- [Kris and Judge Harper laugh]
- Kris: [to Harper's grandson] I am. [to Harper] Merry Christmas. [leaves]
- Grandson: Nuts! I should have got his autograph!
- Dorey: Are you still coming to dinner?
- Bryan: Am I still invited?
- Dorey: Would you be our Santa Claus?
- Kris: Uh, me?
- Dorey: Well, do you have any experience?
- Kris: Well... Just a little.
- Kris: You think I'm a fraud, don't you?
- Dorey: Fraud is a bit too strong of a word.
- Kris: But you don't believe in me.
- Dorey: I believe that Christmas is for children.
- Kris: Well your daughter doesn't believe in me, either.
- Dorey: I don't think that there's any harm in not believing in a figure that many do acknowledge to be a fiction.
- Kris: Oh, but there is. I'm not just a whimsical figure who wears a charming suit and affects a jolly demeanor. You know, I... I... I'm a symbol. I'm a symbol of the human ability to be able to suppress the selfish and hateful tendencies that rule the major part of our lives. If... You can't believe, if you can't accept anything on faith, then you're doomed for a life dominated by doubt.
- Susan: I can't sleep.
- Dorey: What's on your mind?
- Susan: Santa Claus.
- Dorey: Mr. Kringle? What about him?
- Susan: He talked sign language with a kid today.
- Dorey: That was considerate of him.
- Susan: He looks like every picture of Santa Claus I've ever seen.
- Dorey: I know. That's why I hired him.
- Kris: Well, I would greatly like to oblige, Mr. Collins, but I cannot make this reindeer fly.
- Collins: I didn't think so.
- Kris: He only flies on Christmas Eve.
- Judge Harper: Mr. Collins, would you like to cross examine... [quietly chuckles] ...your wife?
- Kris: Mr. Collins, I hope you've taken down that old TV antenna. I ripped my pants on it last year.
- [to Judge Harper, after testifying in court]
- Daniel: Do I have to go to jail now?
- Orderly: This guy ain't dangerous. He may be off his rails a bit, but he ain't no thug. And if he wants to call himself Santa Claus, then God bless him.
- C.F. Cole: We invite you to ask yourself this one simple question: Do you believe in Santa Claus?
- Bryan: Your Honor, a lot of people believe in Mr. Kringle. Including millions of children. If you rule against him, you won't destroy anyone's belief but you will destroy the man they believe in. Mr. Kringle is not concerned for himself, if he was he wouldn't be here. He is in this regrettable position because he is willing to sacrifice himself for children. To create in their minds a world far better than the one we've made for them. If this is, as Mr. Collins suggests, a masquerade then Mr. Kringle is eager to forfeit his freedom to preserve that masquerade. To subject himself to prosecution to protect the children's right to believe. If this court finds that Mr. Kringle is not who he says he is, that there is no Santa, I ask the court to judge which is worse: A lie that draws a smile or a truth that draws a tear.
- [Bryan and Dorey are at the altar]
- Priest: Are you ready?
- Dorey: For what?
- Priest: To get married.
- [last lines]
- Dorey Walker: Susan.
- Susan Walker: What?
- Dorey Walker: What else did you ask Mr. Kringle for?
- Susan Walker: A baby brother. See ya.
- Experience the Miracle.
- Discover the Miracle.
- If you really believe, anything can happen.
- Richard Attenborough - Kris Kringle
- Mara Wilson - Susan Walker
- Elizabeth Perkins - Dorey Walker
- Dylan McDermott - Bryan Bedford
- J. T. Walsh - Ed Collins
- Simon Jones - Donald Shellhammer
- James Remar - Jack Duff
- Jane Leeves - Alberta Leonard
- Robert Prosky - Judge Henry Harper
- Allison Janney - Brazen Woman in Cole's Christmas Shopping Center
- Jack McGee - Tony Falacchi
- Joss Ackland (uncredited) - Victor Landberg
- Miracle on 34th Street quotes at the Internet Movie Database