Monster (2003 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Written and directed by Patty Jenkins.
Based on a true story.
Aileen "Lee" Wuornos
- I always wanted to be in the movies. When I was little I thought for sure I could be a big, big star. Or maybe just beautiful. Beautiful and rich, like the women on TV. Yeah, I had a lot of dreams, and I guess you could call me a real romantic, because I truly believed that one day, they'd come true. So I dreamed about it for hours. As the years went by I learned to stop sharing this with people. They said I was dreaming, but back then, I believed in it wholeheartedly. So whenever I was down, I would just escape into my mind. To my other life, where I was someone else. It made me happy to think that all these people just didn't know yet who I was gonna be. But one day, they'd all see.
- I heard that Marilyn Monroe was discovered in a soda shop, and I thought for sure it could be like that. So I started going out real young, and I was always secretly looking for who was gonna discover me. Was it this guy? Or maybe this one? You never knew. But even if they couldn't take me all the way, like Marilyn, they would somehow believe in me just enough. They could see me for what I could be, and think I was beautiful. Like a diamond in the rough. They would take me away to my new life, and my new world, where everything would be different. Yeah. I lived that way for a long, long time. In my head, dreaming like that. It was nice. But one day it just stopped.
- By the time I met Selby Wall... Shit, all I wanted was a beer.
- So I made a deal. I said God I gotta spend this 5 bucks but when it's gone so am I so, if you got something for me in this life you better bring it on, and there she was.
- You'll never meet someone like me again.
- I loved her. And the thing no one ever realized about me or believed was that I could learn. I could train myself into anything. People always look down their noses at hookers. Never give you a chance cause they think you took the easy way out. When no one could imagine the will power it took to do what we do, walking the streets night after night. Taking the hits and still getting back up. But I did and they'd all miss out. Cause they had no idea what I could discipline myself too and I believed in something - and I believed in her.
- "All you need is love and to believe in yourself." Nice idea. It doesn't exactly work out that way. But I guess it was better to hear a flat-out lie than to know the truth at 13.
- I'm not a bad person. I'm a real good person.
- "Love conquers all." "Every cloud has a silver lining." "Faith can move mountains." "Love will always find a way." "Everything happens for a reason." "Where there is life, there is hope." Well... They gotta tell you somethin'.
- [Aileen is looking for work at a lawyer's office]
- Lawyer: I see you're from Daytona Beach, all of that looks great, it must be wonderful. But can I tell you something? When the beach party is over, you don't get to say, "You know what? Now I think I'd like to have what everybody else has worked their entire life for." It doesn't work that way.
- Aileen: Fuck you, man. Yeah, FUCK YOU! YOU DON'T FUCKIN' KNOW ME!
- Lawyer: OK, great. That's great. See, now I'm so sorry I didn't hire you before. Leslie, could you please escort Miss... I don't even know her name because of course she doesn't have a resume... out.
- Aileen: I don't need a fuckin' escort, you piece of shit! What you think I'm a fuckin' retard? Take your fuckin' job and fuckin' shove it! Fuck you, Leslie!
- Will: You wanna call me "Daddy" while I fuck you, huh?
- Aileen: I'll try. Why? You like to fuck your kids?
- Selby: We can be as different as we wanna be, but you can't kill people!
- Aileen: SAYS WHO? I'm good with the Lord. I'm fine with him. And I know how you were raised, alright? And I know how people fuckin' think out there, and fuck, it's gotta be that way. They've gotta tell you that 'Thou shall not kill' shit and all of that. But that's not the way the world works, Selby. Cuz I'm out there every fuckin' day living it. Who the fuck knows what God wants? People kill each other every day and for what? Hm? For politics, for religion, and THEY'RE HEROES! No, no... there's a lot of shit I can't do anymore, but killing's not one of them. And letting those fucking bastards go out and rape someone else isn't either!
- Aileen: Everybody just thinks I'm this bad shitty fucking person, and all I'm fucking tryin' to do is survive, you know?
- Thomas: I know. I know what you do for a living. It doesn't bother me. I know you didn't dial it up on a goddamn telephone. That's where you landed. That's what you had to do. What you're feeling right now is just guilt, over something you had absolutely no control over. You know how many of us came back from the war? And almost killed ourselves because we felt exactly the same thing you do, right now.
- Aileen: Yeah?
- Thomas: Yeah. And they'll never get it. They'll never get it now, they never got it then, and they sure as hell won't get fucking circumstance!
- Aileen: Fuck, man, circumstance, that's exactly it, that's exactly it. You know I feel like I never even had a fucking choice.
- Thomas: You never did. But you gotta live. You gotta live.
- Selby: I just wanna live, Lee. I just want a normal happy life. I don't know why you did this.
- Aileen: Because I love you. Because I love you and I never wanna to lose you and that's all. I love you from my heart, my soul, my mind. And I never let you down. All right? Because it was me. It was only me. And I'll tell them that, ok. It's over for me now. And I'm never gonna see you again.
- Selby: Yeah, I know.
- Aileen: I wish there was a way that people can forgive you for something about this, you know. But they can't. They can't, man. So I'm gonna die, Sel... Hey Sel, I'll never forget you. Good bye, baby. Bye baby.
- Selby: Goodbye, Lee.
- Charlize Theron - Aileen "Lee" Wuornos
- Christina Ricci - Selby Wall
- Bruce Dern - Thomas
- Lee Tergeson - Richard Corey
- Annie Corley - Donna