Mortal Kombat (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Choose Your Destiny...taglines
Mortal Kombat is a 1995 film about three unknowing martial artists who are summoned to a mysterious island to compete in a tournament whose outcome will decide the fate of the world. It is based on the video game series of the same name.
- Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson. Written by Kevin Droney.
- [appears before Cage, Sonya and Liu Kang] Listen, what you are about to face is for more important than... [to Cage] Your ego. [to Sonya] Our enemy. [to Liu Kang] Or your quest for revenge. You're about to embark on a secret mission. You have been chosen to defend the realm of Earth. In a tournament called Mortal Kombat.
- I have looked into their souls… and yours. One of you three will determine the outcome of the tournament. The fate of billions depends upon you. Heh, heh, heh! Sorry.
- From this moment on, my island will be your battle ground. [points to Liu Kang] Liu Kang, you will be first. Let Mortal Kombat begin.
- I'm in a hostile environment. I'm totally unprepared. And I'm surrounded by a bunch of guys who probably want to kick my ass... it's like being back in high school.
- Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole!
- I'm going to my trailer. I'm gonna get a gun and I'M GONNA SHOOT MYSELF FOR BEING IN YOUR MOVIE!
- You can look into my soul, but you don’t own it.
- Grandfather: Spare him, my lord Rayden. American life has enfeebled his mind. Too much television.
- Princess Kitana: If I did not believe in you Liu Kang, I would not have helped you. In the Black Tower, you will face three challenges. You must face your enemy. You must face yourself. And you must face your worst fear.
- [In Hong Kong, Sonya and Jax's team are pursuing Kano, while the crowd is watching a band perform.]
- Kano: Good boy. She's here! Right on time. I love punctuality in a woman. Don't you Mr. Shang Tsung.
- [Shang Tsung stares at Kano]
- Kano: Are you sure she'll follow me?
- Shang Tsung: You killed her partner, didn't you. She'll follow you into Hell. Just make sure, she's on the boat. Sonya Blade must be at the tournament.
- [Kano smiles and opens a hatch.]
- Kano: Maybe, me and Sonya should share a cabin. Have our own honeymoon cruise.
- Shang Tsung:[unimpressed] If you some much as touch her, Kano. [Unsheathes a knife] You're gonna need a seeing eye dog.
- Johnny Cage: Where do you get these guys?! And the press says I don't know how to do this stuff.
- Director: Cut. All right reset people. We're back in 15 minutes.
- Johnny Cage: No, I'm not doing it again!
- Director: What do yo mean you're not doing it again?
- Johnny Cage: I mean I'm not doing it again!
- Director: Johnny, it's the last shot of the picture. Where are you going?
- Johnny Cage: I'm going to my trailer, I'M GONNA GET A GUN, AND I'M GONNA SHOOT MYSELF FOR BEING IN YOUR MOVIE!!!!
- Johnny Cage: [Seeing someone sitting in his chair] Hey, mister. You're in my chair.
- Master Boyd: [Reading a Tabloid, and lowering it to reveal himself] Hi, Johnny.
- Johnny Cage: Oh, Master Boyd.
- Master Boyd: I can see that the press is still giving you a hard time.
- Johnny Cage: Yeah, they think I'm a fake.
- Master Boyd: Johnny, you are one of the best martial artists in the world, and I can help you prove it.
- Johnny Cage: Prove it? How?
- Master Boyd: A tournament, "THE" tournament. [Hands him an invitation] It's held once a generation. The best fighters in the world are invited. You win the tournament, you win their respect. They'll tell the whole world, that you're the real goods.
- Johnny Cage: So, how do I...
- Master Boyd: There's a boat, it leaves Hong Kong tomorrow, be on it.
- Liu Kang: [to Grandfather] I had enough of this. I'm going to find my brother's killer at the tournament, with or without your consent.
- Grandfather: [to Lord Rayden] He isn't ready, my lord, and we lost so much time.
- Lord Rayden: I know, but there's no one else.
- Johnny Cage: Hey, pal! When the ship comes in, could you put these on board?
- Liu Kang: You want me to carry your luggage?
- Johnny Cage: Yeah. I pay money, you carry the bags, or is that too complicated?
- Liu Kang: No... [takes money out of Cage's hand] I got it.
- Johnny Cage: Good.
- [Liu Kang picks up a suitcase and throws it in the water, then smiles at Cage while walking away.]
- Johnny Cage: Well, thank God I didn't ask him to park the car...
- Johnny Cage: We got a guy with things comin' out of his hands, we got another guy who freezes stuff, and then there's a man, who as far as I can tell, is made out of electricity. I mean, how did he disappear like that? What is goin' on here? WHO IS THIS GUY?
- Sonya Blade: Let's just think this through. There IS a rational explanation for all this.
- Liu Kang: He's Rayden, god of lightning and protector of the realm of Earth.
- Johnny Cage: Oh yeah. THERE'S your rational explanation!
- Johnny Cage: Don't worry, I've got a plan.
- Sonya Blade: Oh, I can't believe this! You are the most egotistical, self-deluded person I have ever met!
- Johnny Cage: Yeah, well you forgot good looking.
- Shang Tsung: Challenging Goro eh? You weren't supposed to fight him now. Are you THAT eager to die?
- Johnny Cage: I'm not the one who's gonna die.
- Shang Tsung: I see. You're very foolish. A true sign of a hero. You want to protect your friends, but make no mistake; they too will die, after Goro destroys you.
- Johnny Cage: So what's the problem?
- Shang Tsung: As you wish. As absurd as your request is I shall grant it. In return, I reserve the right to challenge the winner myself... or another of my choosing. In a place designated by me for the final battle of the tournament.
- Johnny Cage: You got it pal.
- [Johnny has challenged Goro]
- Lord Rayden: What have you done?
- Johnny Cage: I made a choice. This is OUR tournament, remember? Mortal Kombat. WE fight it!
- [Johnny leaves, Rayden smiles]
- Lord Rayden: Good. At last one of them has understood.
- Shang Tsung: Finish him quickly. Pay me my tribute.
- Goro: This puny mortal will be no problem. I'll crush him with one blow.
- Johnny Cage: All right? Let's dance.
- Johnny Cage: [about Sonya Blade] You know, you gotta admire her. When she sets her mind on something...
- Liu Kang: It's not her mind you're admiring.
- Johnny Cage: It's true.
- Shang Tsung: [about Kano] Why else would I have chosen such a disreputable-looking cretin? Look at him! No dignity, no manners... Yet in the realm of Earth, men like him can amass great wealth, and almost god-like power.
- Kano: Yeah, and I'd like to get back to my amassing as soon as possible, if you don't mind! Now when do I get paid?
- Kitana: Stay where you are. Will you interfere with the tournament and betray our emperor? In his great wisdom, Mortal Kombat can not be won by treachery.
- Shang Tsung: How dare you speak to me about treachery.
- [Johnny Cage is seen unchaining a grateful Sonya.]
- Kitana: Your ignorance will lose for all time to the keys to the realm of earth.
- Shang Tsung: Very well. Johnny Cage, I challenge you!
- Liu Kang: No! You'll fight me. I am Liu Kang, descendent of Kung Lao. I challenge you to Mortal Kombat. Do you accept or yield?
- Shang Tsung: I accept. Leave us. I will take care of this impudent mortal myself.
- Jax: Trust me, Sonya!
- Sonya Blade: I only trust one person, Jax, and you're talking to her.
- Liu Kang: All those souls and you still don't have one of your own. I pity you sorcerer.
- Shang Tsung: [Enraged] Save your pity for THE WEAK!
- Johnny Cage: Kitana went this way... I can smell her perfume.
- Liu Kang: I don't smell anything.
- Sonya Blade: I smell something... Bullshit!
- Shao Kahn: You weak, pathetic fools, I've come for your souls!
- Lord Rayden: I don't think so.
- Kitana: Well done. You're finally learning, Liu Kang.
- Liu Kang: Kitana.
- [Kitana, Johnny Cage and Liu Kang are travelling through the destroyed remains of the Outworld.]
- Liu Kang: What happened here?
- Kitana: The same thing that could happen to your world unless you prevent it. My father was the rightful ruler of Outworld. Then his best warriors lost 10 Mortal Kombats and the emperor entered the realm. Killed my parents and adopted me to lay claim to the throne. It was beautiful once, until Shang Tsung engineered it's destruction.
- Liu Kang: How can I stop this from happening in my world?
- Kitana: If I didn't believe in you, Liu Kang, I would not have helped you. In the dark tower, you will face three challenges. You must face your enemy. You must face yourself. And you must face your worst fears.
- Choose Your Destiny...
- Nothing In This World Has Prepared You For This
- Kombat Begins
- Flawless Victory
- Test Your Might
- Christopher Lambert - Lord Rayden
- Robin Shou - Liu Kang
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa - Shang Tsung
- Linden Ashby - Johnny Cage
- Bridgette Wilson - Sonya Blade
- Talisa Soto - Princess Kitana
- Trevor Goddard - Kano
- Chris Casamassa - Scorpion
- François Petit - Sub-Zero
- Keith Cooke - Reptile
- Tom Woodruff, Jr. - Goro
- Kevin Michael Richardson - voice of Goro
- Kenneth Edwards - Art "Kai" Lean
- Steven Ho - Chan Kang
- Gregory McKinney - Jax
- Peter Jason - Master Boyd
- Frank Welker - voice of Shao Kahn