Murphy's law is a popular adage that states that "things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance," or more commonly, "whatever can go wrong, will go wrong." A number of variants on the rule have been formulated, as have several corollaries.
Proverbs 13:15: Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard. -God, proven over and over.
- If that guy has any way of making a mistake, he will.
- If it can happen, it will happen.
- Precedent condensed by team members according to George E. Nichols.
- If there is a wrong way to do something, then someone will do it.
- Version attributed to Edward A. Murphy in Robert L. Forward, "Murphy Lives!" Science 83 (January-February 1983), p. 78.
- If there's more than one way to do a job and one of those ways will end in disaster, then somebody will do it that way.
- Version attributed to Edward A. Murphy in People Magazine (January 31, 1983), p. 82.
- Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
- If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then somebody will do it that way
- According to Robert Murphy (son of Edward A. Murphy, Jr.) his father's statement was along these lines; reported in People (January 31, 1983), p. 82. Alternately reported as "If there is a wrong way to do something, then someone will do it", in Robert L. Forward, "Murphy Lives!", Science 83 (January-February 1983), p. 78. Also commonly reported as, "If anything can go wrong, it will", in J. A. Simpson, ed., The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs (1982), p. 4.
- Nothing is foolproof, because fools are so ingenious.
- By Bill Carter: Computer Tech.
- Anything That Can Possibly Go Wrong, Does
- Epigraph of The Butcher: The Ascent of Yerupaja (1952) by John Sack
- Colonel Stapp's favorite takeoff on sober scientific laws — Murphy's Law, Stapp calls it — 'Everything that can possibly go wrong will go wrong'
- Men, Rockets and Space Rats (1955) by Lloyd Mallan, possibly the earliest printed use of Murphy's name in connection with the law.
- Murphy's Quantum Law: Anything that can, could have, or will go wrong, is going wrong, all at once.
- The Official Rules (1982) by Paul Dickson ISBN 0099264900
- If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe or pregnancy, then someone will do it.
- All theories on losing weight and staying fit work only for the one who proposed the theory. The fees paid to enroll in such programs serve mainly to ensure the perpetuity of these programs.
- Carlson's Law of Physical Fitness
- Smith's Law: "Murphy was an optimist."
- The Annals of Improbable Research tracks down the origins of Murphy's law
- Murphy's Laws Origin
- Visual Archive of Murphy's Law Books Worldwide
- The House of Murphy
- Mathematical formula for Murphy's Law
- 1952 proverb citation
- 1955 term citation of phrase "Murphy's Law"
- Reference to 1941 citation of the proverb
- Murphy's Law entry in the Jargon File
- Murphy's Law was Born Here
- A collection of humorous Murphy's Laws
- Murphy's Law of Combat