Jump to navigation Jump to search
Nanny McPhee is a 2005 film British fantasy film starring Emma Thompson and Colin Firth. The film is about a widowed undertaker with seven out-of-control children who is visited by a mysterious and magical nanny to help straighten out his children.
- Directed by Kirk Jones. Written by Emma Thompson.
- I did knock.
- I have 5 lessons to teach. What lessons they learn is entirely up to them. Goodnight, Mr Brown.
- When you need me, but do not want me, then I will stay. If you want me, but no longer need me then I have to go.
- Some bout of influenza at Archway is carrying off all the old folks. Still, what's bad for them, good for us.
- [first lines] We must begin our story, sad to say with an empty chair. If it were not empty, we would not have a story. But it is. And we do. And it is time to tell it. This is the story of my family, of my seven children who were all very clever, but all very, very, very, naughty. [the 17th nanny screaming] This is nanny Weinstone. The 17th nanny I had hired to look after my children. She was the strictest, the toughest, and the most fearless nanny in all the land. As I went to work that day, at the funeral parlor, I was confident in the knowledge that there was nothing, absolutely nothing that my children could do to upset her. [she comes in and tells him something] (Nanny Weinstone: They've eaten the baby!!!) Except that.
- I NEVER say 'please'!
- Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm Oglington Fartworthy.
- You never listen!
- Bee hive?
- Let me not beat about the bush, Cedric. The problem with you is that you have too many children.
- If there's one thing I won't stand for, it's loose vowels.
- Will you just look at them? Aww. The little, small things.
- I am your mother now, (She breaks Aggie's rattle).
- Typical of a man, sending his little ones to do the dirty work.
- Nanny McPhee: There is something you should understand about the way I work. When you need me, but do not want me, then I will stay. If you want me, but no longer need me then I have to go. It's quite sad really but there it is.
- Simon: We will NEVER want you!
- Nanny McPhee: Then I will never go.
- Mr. Wheen: (on the concept of his unruly children) We always told you, Mr. Brown...
- Mr. Jowls: It's not funerals you should be working with...
- Cedric: (nodding, miming along)
- Both: It's christenings! (uproarious laughter)
- Cedric: (sighs, before laughing along with them)
- Mr. Brown: Nanny McPhee! Now she can't take the donkey, so what have you done?
- Nanny McPhee: I have done nothing, sir. The children have decided amongst themselves.
- Mr. Brown: Decided what?
- Great Aunt Adelaide: (off in distance) There you are, my dear.
- Mr. Brown: Not little Chrissy. (runs from the house) Chrissy!
- Great Aunt Adelaide: (in the carriage) Now, then, you'd better tell me your name, little girl.
- Mr. Brown: (bolts down the road) Chrissy!
- Great Aunt Adelaide: Don't be shy, my dear. What is your name?.
- Mr. Brown: (in the forest) Chrissy!
- Great Aunt Adelaide: Sit up straight, and tell me your name.
- Mr. Brown: (the carriage fades in the distance) NO! Christianna!
- Christianna: Papa! Papa!
- (races into her father's arms and hugs him)
- Mr. Brown: Oh, thank... (the other children run up to him) Oh... Then who is?.
- Evangeline: (raises head for Aunt Adelaide to see) Evangeline... My name is Evangeline.
- Mr. Brown: Nanny McPhee...
- Nanny McPhee: Yes, Mr Brown?
- Mr. Brown: She will be all right, won't she?, Evangeline, I mean.
- Nanny McPhee: I can't help being concerned.
- Mr. Brown: Aunt Adelaide can be so, erm... Well, you saw.
- Nanny McPhee: She will certainly be all right.
- Mr. Brown: Good, I suppose she volunteered to go, did she?, couldn't wait to be shot of us, I imagine.
- Nanny McPhee: Not quite, It was Simon's idea, he knew Evangeline might like to educate herself and that her going would save Christianna.
- Behave or Beware.
- You'll learn to love her... warts and all.
- Emma Thompson as Nanny McPhee
- Colin Firth as Cedric Brown
- Kelly Macdonald as Evangeline
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Simon Brown
- Eliza Bennett as Tora Brown
- Jennifer Rae Daykin as Liliana Lily Brown
- Raphaël Coleman as Eric Brown
- Samuel Honywood as Sebastian Brown
- Holly Gibbs as Christianna "Chrissie" Brown
- Hebe and Zinnia Barnes as Aggie Brown
- Angela Lansbury as Great Aunt Adelaide Stitch
- Celia Imrie as Mrs. Selma Quickly
- Imelda Staunton as Mrs. Blatherwick
- Derek Jacobi as Mr. Wheen
- Patrick Barlow as Mr. Jowls
- Adam Godley as the Vicar