Ned Kelly (2003 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ned Kelly is a 2003 Australian historical drama film based on Robert Drewe's 1991 novel Our Sunshine. Directed by Gregor Jordan
- I was the hero of Hughes Creek. I can still see the glint in me Da's eye as he looked down at me, his hand on me shoulder. What did he call me that day? Ah, what did Da call me? That's right. He called me Sunshine.
- I wore it seriously, me hero's sash of green and gold - proof that I'd saved a life as well.
- What I best recall is riding alone with the sun behind me, seeing me own shadow cantering ahead against the roadside weeds and willows, and leaving me stretched far behind galloping to chase it. Like a centaur in the picture books.
- I've never shot a man, but if I do, so help me God, you'll be the first!
- They said I'd lost what it meant to be human, maybe never had it in the first place, but wasn't this about protecting the ones I loved? The ones who gave me food, and shelter, even the clothes on me back? And therefore wasn't it now a war?
- And wasn't this the challenge of your whole life, Superintendent? A feather in your cap? You can't catch me. You don't have a hope of catching me, so you take my friends instead - over a hundred men arrested, stuck in stinking cells without trial while their crops perish in the fields. And guess what? Not one of 'em caves in and tries to claim the reward. Not one of 'em. They loved me the just same and hated you all the more, didn't they? Did you really think I was gonna let 'em all rot?
- There's a certain type of black tribesman that bends in the wind. Blends into the background. Mostly he employs the help of the dead to destroy other people. "The Night Dancer", they call him.
- Ah! The monkey's been shot! Poor little bugger!
- I'm sure there's no harm in being friendly.
- Jesus Christ, lads, I think I need a drink.
- Aaron Sherritt: [Coming outside half undressed] Hey, gotta keep your voice down? I've a visitor.
- Joe Byrne: Who?
- Aaron Sherritt: Mary Hegarty.
- Joe Byrne: Mary Hegarty?
- Aaron Sherritt: Mm-hm.
- Joe Byrne: Jesus, she can be only thirteen!
- Aaron Sherritt: Ah, I'm not superstitious.
- Superintendent Francis Hare: These are not animals Constable.
- A film about the legendary outlaw whose story outgrew his life
- You can kill a man but not a legend.
- When the law tried to silence him a legend was born.
- The British Empire branded them as outlaws. The oppressed called them heroes.
- Heath Ledger as Ned Kelly
- Orlando Bloom as Joe Byrne
- Geoffrey Rush as Superintendent Francis Hare
- Naomi Watts as Julia Cook
- Joel Edgerton as Aaron Sherritt
- Laurence Kinlan as Dan Kelly
- Philip Barantini as Steve Hart
- Kerry Condon as Kate Kelly
- Kris McQuade as Ellen Kelly
- Emily Browning as Grace Kelly
- Erika Felton as young Ellen Kelly
- Kiri Paramore as Constable Fitzpatrick
- Rachel Griffiths as Susan Scott
- Geoff Morrell as Robert Scott
- Charles Tingwell as Premier Graham Berry
- Andrew Formosa as Park Ranger
- Saskia Burmeister as Jane Jones
- Talia Zucker as Sarah Wicks
- Jonathan Hardy as The Great Orlando