New York Stories
New York Stories is a 1989 anthology film which was released in the United States. It consists of three shorts with the central theme being New York City. The first is Life Lessons, directed by Martin Scorsese, written by Richard Price and starring Nick Nolte. The second is Life Without Zoë, directed by Francis Ford Coppola with his daughter, Sofia Coppola. The last is Oedipus Wrecks, directed, written by and starring Woody Allen. One actor, Paul Herman, has a bit part in each segment.
- Lionel: It's art. You give it up, you were never an artist in the first place.
- Lionel: I have to pick up my sister at the airport. I don't know why she can't take a cab like everybody else.
- Paulette: I don't have to sleep with you anymore?
- Lionel: I'm your all against horse dung and fraud. That's as far as it goes from now on.
- Lionel: [when Paulette sees Lionel appearing unexpectedly in Paulette's bedroom] I just wanted to kiss your foot. Sorry, nothing personal.
- Paulette: [to Lionel] Sometimes I feel like a human sacrifice!
- Paulette: [seeing a patrol car with two policemen in it] Kiss the driver on the mouth. Then we'll talk.
- Lionel: [disbelivering the request and laughing nervously] What?
- Paulette: Come on, and show me how much you love me.
- Lionel: [shaken and laughing nervously. after a pause] What if I do? Huh?
- Paulette: Then I'll know your love is true, and if you don't, your name is King Bullshit, and I pack.
Life Without Zoë
- Zoe: [to her mother about her Joan Crawford-styled dress] A woman shouldn't have bigger shoulders than a man.
- Zoe: How's everything?
- Claudio: Well, in life there are always a few problems... but things are not so bad.
- Zoe: [last lines of the segment] So, you could say we all lived on tour happily ever after.
- Sheldon: [opening lines of segment] I'm 50 years old. I'm a partner in a big law firm. You know I'm very successful, and I still haven't resolved my relationship with my mother.
- Sheldon: [looking around Trva's dank, gloomy apartment] You got a nice place here. What time does the cobra come out?
- One City. Three Stories Tall.
- Woody Allen - Sheldon
- Mae Questel - Mother
- Mia Farrow - Lisa
- George Schindler - Shandu the Magician
- Larry David - Theater manager
- w:Heather McComb - Zoë
- w:Talia Shire - Charlotte
- Giancarlo Giannini - Claudio
- Don Novello - Hector
- Julie Kavner - Treva
- Nick Nolte - Lionel Dobie
- Rosanna Arquette - Paulette
- Steve Buscemi - Gregory Stark
- Jesse Borrego - Reuben Toro
- Mike Starr - Hardhat
- James Keane - Jimmy
- Adrien Brody - Mel
- Chris Elliott - Robber
- Peter Gabriel - Himself
- Illeana Douglas - Paulette's friend
- Deborah Harry - Blind alley girl
- Carmine Coppola - Street musician
- Holly Marie Combs - Costume party guest
- Kirsten Dunst - Lisa's daughter
- Martin Scorsese - Man having picture taken with Lionel Dobie