Newport News, Virginia
Newport News is a city in Virginia. With many residents employed at the expansive Newport News Shipbuilding, the joint U.S. Air Force-U.S. Army installation at Joint Base Langley–Eustis, and other military bases and suppliers, the city's economy is very connected to the military. The location on the harbor and along the James River facilitates a large boating industry which can take advantage of its many miles of waterfront. Newport News also serves as a junction between the rails and the sea with the Newport News Marine Terminals located at the East End of the city.
- [S]everal old maps where the name is given as Newport Ness, being the mariner's way of saying Newport Point.
- John Fiske, Old Virginia and her Neighbors (1897), p. 92
- Newport News is the oldest English place name of any city in the New World. Today its population exceeds 183,000.
- Bad News, VA? Now, that sounds great. I see niggas with that ice on, rims shined up. This town's one big pussy, waiting to get fucked.
- Curtis Jackson, "Ski Mask Way" (2005), The Massacre
- Within slightly more than 100 years, the sleepy village of Newport News has transformed itself from a sparsely populated region of watermen and farmers to a city known as one of the nation's greatest centers for shipbuilding...
- Encyclopedic article on Newport News, Virginia on Wikipedia