Jump to navigation Jump to search
Octopussy is a 1983 film in which a fake Fabergé egg and a fellow agent's death leads James Bond to uncovering an international jewel smuggling operation, headed by the mysterious Octopussy, being used to disguise a nuclear attack on NATO forces.
- Directed by John Glen. Written by George MacDonald Fraser, Michael G. Wilson, and Richard Maibaum, based on a short story by Ian Fleming.
Nobody does it better...thirteen times. (taglines)
- Englishman. Likes eggs, preferably Faberge, and dice, preferably loaded.
- Mr. Bond is indeed of a very rare breed... soon to be made extinct.
- [Bond and Vijay's car is being chased by Gobinda and his henchmen.]
- Bond: Vijay, we've got company!
- Vijay: No problem, this is a company car!
- Bond: [hands Q his coat] Do you think you can help me? Someone seems to have stuck a knife in my wallet.
- Q: Oh, and missed you? What a pity!
- Bond: [looking at the tattoo on Magda's back] What is that?
- Magda: That's my little octopussy.
- Bond: So does he have a proposition for me or do you?
- Magda: He suggest a trade. The egg... for your life.
- Bond: Well, I heard the price of eggs was going up, but isn't that a little high?
- [Vijay arrives to relieve Q as they monitor Octopussy's island palace from the lakeshore]
- Vijay: Is he still there?
- Q: You must be joking! Double-0-seven on an island populated exclusively by women? We won't see him till dawn!
- Orlov: [enters the trailer, sees Bond in Mischka's clothes from behind] Leave that! Let's go.
- Bond: [turns around, facing Orlov with pointed gun] No, let's stay. You. Sit on that box. Hands on your knees. Come on, move! Now why is that bomb on the train?
- Orlov: Who are you?
- Bond: I'm with British Secret Service.
- [the scene cuts to two Russian soldiers having finished examining General Orlov's car with the jewel container inside the trunk and leaving to do their duty; the scene cuts again to Bond still holding General Orlov captive inside the trailer]
- Orlov: You should be more concerned about getting out of here alive.
- Bond: I am more concerned about an atomic bomb exploding on a United States Air Force base. You surely can't be inviting a full-scale nuclear war. What happens when the US retaliates?
- Orlov: [grins] Against whom?
- Bond: [frowning, realizing Orlov's scheme] My God. Of course. Our early-warning system will rule out the possibility of that bomb having come from Russia or anywhere else. Everyone will assume incorrectly that it was an American bomb triggered accidentally.
- Orlov: That would be the most plausible explanation.
- Bond: Europe will insist on unilateral disarmament, leaving every border undefended for you to walk across at will. And it doesn't matter a damn to you, I suppose, that thousands of innocent people will be killed in this little "accident" of yours?
- Orlov: Better than letting a handful of old men in Moscow bargain away our advantage in disarmament talks!
- Bond: On your feet, General. You're going to stop that train.
- Orlov: [they hear hoot as the train starts to move off] It's too late.
- Bond: You can stop it at the border. [the trailer door opens, revealing two Russian soldiers and Bond, having been caught, kills one soldier and escapes to avoid being killed by the other]
- Orlov: [referring to Bond escaping from the Russian soldier, who is chasing him] Kill him!! Kill him!!
- [General Gogol walks to a crawling General Orlov, who has just been shot by East German border guards, thinking he was trying to defect by chasing the Octopussy circus train]
- Gogol: A common thief! A disgrace to the uniform!
- Orlov: [weakly] Yes. But tomorrow, I shall be a hero of the Soviet... Union... [dies]
- [at Feldstadt Air Base, Kamal Khan prepares to leave ahead of the expected nuclear explosion]
- Kamal Khan: [to a USAF lieutenant-general] General, excuse me. I have some traveling arrangements to make. Enjoy the show.
- US general: Thank you.
- US aide: I'm sure the general will get a big blast out of this.
- Khan: I know he won't be disappointed.
- [Bond and Q float in a hot air balloon as Octopussy's troops raid Khan's lair]
- Bond: I trust you can handle this contraption, Q?
- Q: It goes by hot air.
- Bond: Oh, then you can.
- Khan: You seem to have a nasty habit of surviving.
- Bond: Well, you know what they say about the fittest.
- Nobody does it better...thirteen times.
- James Bond's all time action high.
- Nobody does him better.
- Roger Moore - James Bond
- Maud Adams - Octopussy
- Louis Jourdan - Kamal Khan
- Kristina Wayborn - Magda
- Kabir Bedi - Gobinda
- Steven Berkoff - General Orlov
- Desmond Llewelyn - Q
- Robert Brown - M
- Lois Maxwell - Miss Moneypenny
- Michaela Clavell - Penelope Smallbone
- Walter Gotell - General Anatol Gogol