Olivier Giroud (born 30 September 1986) is a French international footballer who plays for Chelsea as a forward. Before playing for Chelsea, he played for Arsenal and wore the number 12 squad jersey. He joined the Gunners for the 2012-2013 Premiership Season after top scoring and winning the 2012 French Ligue 1 with Montpellier. He has been compared to Arsenal player Alan Smith.
- I have the weapons to do well here. I will need some time to adapt of course, but I am not worried about that. I think I will adapt well. I am a player who likes to play, who likes to participate in the game. That is why I think the way Arsenal play will suit me. I like scoring goals and Arsenal create a lot of chances, so if I do well, then we will do well.
- I had a look at the keeper and I was thinking that he was a bit too much forward from his line. I tried instinctively to shoot and to hit the target. I was a bit lucky but that's what I wanted to do.
- About his spectacular goal in the 2014 Community Shield
Quotes about Giroud
- It was a good finish, he is a good finisher Olivier, but at the moment I believe he is looking for confidence and that goal will help him. I expect him to take that into the Premier League.
- Arsene Wenger on Giroud's first Arsenal goal scored against Coventry in the Capital One Cup (Published Thursday 27 September 2012)
- Despite the incredible impact that Zlatan Ibrahimovic has had since arriving in France, it is impossible to look past Olivier Giroud's role in Montpellier's completely unexpected title win.
- BleacherReport (Published 24th December 2012)