Once Upon a Forest
Once Upon a Forest is a 1993 British-American animated children's film based on the Furlings characters created by Rae Lambert. A Hanna-Barbera/HTV Cymru/Wales production released by 20th Century Fox, the film was directed by Charles Grosvenor and produced by David Kirschner.
The film is about three "Furlings" – the story's term for animal children – who go on an expedition to cure a friend that has been poisoned by chemical fumes. The film's environmental theme divided critics at the time of its release, along with the animation and story. The film was a box office bomb, grossing US$6.6 million against a budget of $13 million. It was filmed in 1992.
- Directed by Charles Grosvenor. Produced by William Hanna, David Kirschner, Jerry Mills and Paul Gertz. Screenplay by Mark Young and Kelly Ward.
- Well, what do you have to say?
- Well, Furlings, there are times when we must learn to accept... setbacks.
- Marvelous! Magnificent! Stupendous! You three have changed so much these past few days, I hardly recognize you. [happily] You're no longer my Furlings. You've grown up.
- No, you wrecked months and months of work!
- [notices everyone is gone] What happened? Where is everyone? MOMMY! DADDY!
- Uncle Cornelius, your mouth is hanging open!
- If Uncle Cornelius asks, tell him it isn't MY fault you're late!
- It's true! We need the herbs to heal a sick badger back home!
- [tapping a road with his foot] This ground isn't normal. It's... it's hard.
- You know, Abigail, sometimes I wish I was brave... like you.
- Good thing you're a slow climber!
- Gee, and I thought meals were ALWAYS out of control at MY house!
- Wait a minute! I know how to get up there. We'll use Cornelius' Flapper-Wing-a-Ma-Thing.
- Abigail's Father: I'll have you know that when I was a Furling, I couldn't WAIT to get to Cornelius' class!
- Abigail: Yes, daddy!
- Abigail's Father: Well, at least he's taught you to behave! But you never stop climbing trees!
- Abigail: Yes, daddy!
- Edgar's Mother: Oh, Edgar! When we ran from the gas, I was worried sick about you! Oh... did you forget your scarf somewhere?
- Edgar: No, Mama. This is what I forgot.
- [Edgar kisses his mama]
- Russell: [whining] Mom, they won't give me a chance for breakfast!
- Russell's Mother: [washing dishes] Well, you'll just have to be quicker, Rollin!
- Russell: [annoyed] I'm not Rollin, Mother! I'm Russell! RUSSELL!
- Michelle: [speaking really fast] Guess what? You'll never guess what, I'll betcha! Uncle Cornelius said I could go with you on your ramble today, but I'll betcha he's forgotten all about it, and I'll never, EVER get to see what the big surprise is! [inhales deeply] What took you so long?
- 'Abigail: My dad!
- Edgar: My mother!
- Russell: No breakfast!
- Russell: [pushing the tiller of a reed boat] I get to steer!
- Abigail: [pushing the tiller back] Don't be silly, you'll sink us!
- Russell: [pushing back] Will NOT! Give me a chance!
- Waggs: Aha! NOW the truth comes out! They're just here to steal our food!
- Edgar: No, we're just looking for lungwort and eyebright!
- Waggs: Liar!
- Edgar: It's true! We need the herbs to heal a sick badger back home!
- Waggs: More lies! Why would a mole, a mouse, and a hedgehog want to help a foul-smelling, worm-eating, good-for-nothing badger!?!
- Edgar: Michelle's none of those things! She's our friend, understand?! And we've come too far to be stopped now! Step aside!
- Michelle: Uncle Cornelius, why do you look so sad?
- Cornelius: My goodness!
- The Furlings: Michelle!
- Cornelius: Oh, Michelle! You're all right!
- Michelle: Of course, I am! I just had... [yawns] ... a long nap!
- Michelle: Look, Uncle Cornelius! All the mommies and daddies are coming back!
- Cornelius: Not all of them, my dear. I'll never be able to replace your mommy and daddy... but I'll do my best.
- [Michelle sniffles]
- Michelle: I guess nothing will ever be the same again, will it, Uncle Cornelius?
- Cornelius: Well, my dear, if we all work as hard to save Dapplewood as your three friends worked to save you, it will be.
- From the creators of "An American Tail".
- An Adventurous Race Against Time!
- A high-flying magical, musical adventure that can only happen.
- Michael Crawford as Cornelius, a badger who is Michelle's uncle and also the teacher of the furlings
- Ellen Blain as Abigail, a young wood mouse and leader of the furlings
- Benji Gregory as Edgar, a young mole and planner of the furlings
- Paige Gosney as Russell, a young hedgehog and doer of the furlings
- Elisabeth Moss as Michelle, a young badger who becomes sick after inhaling poisonous gas, Cornelius' maternal niece
- Ben Vereen as Phineas, a religious bird
- Will Estes as Willy, a young field mouse who becomes smitten by Abigail
- Charlie Adler as Waggs, a squirrel who bullies the furlings
- Rickey D'Shon Collins as Bosworth, a young bird who was saved from a puddle of oil by the furlings
- Don Reed as Marshbird
- Robert David Hall as Truck Driver, the man whose truck crashed and released the gas on Dapplewood
- Paul Eiding as Abigail's father, an adult wood mouse
- Janet Waldo as Edgar's mother, an adult mole
- Susan Silo as Russell's mother, an adult hedgehog
- Angel Harper as Bosworth's mother, an adult bird
- Benjamin Kimball Smith as Russell's brother, a young hedgehog
- Haven Hartman as Russell's sister, a young hedgehog
- Frank Welker as the Barn Owl (uncredited)
- Florence Warner as Abigail as an Adult (segment "Once Upon a Time with Me") / The Balladeer (as Florence Warner Jones)