Patriot Games is a 1992 film in which CIA Analyst Jack Ryan interferes with an IRA assassination and he and his family are then targeted by a renegade faction for revenge. It is the sequel to the 1990 film The Hunt for Red October.
- Directed by Phillip Noyce. Written by W. Peter Iliff, Donald E. Stewart, and Steven Zaillian, based on the novel of the same name by Tom Clancy.
- [showing Marty some pictures of the woman they're after, provided by Paddy O'Neil] Paddy O'Neill can sleep at night. In fact, he probably enjoys the irony. She's not Irish; she's English.
- Listen! Who are we looking for here, huh? IRA terrorists or some ultra-violent faction of the IRA, fighting the cause their way? Jimmy O'Reardon checked into a hotel with a woman with long red hair. Long red hair! This is who we should be looking for! We find her... we'll find him.
- [to Ryan] Bloody proud of yourself, aren't you? You stuck your nose in where it didn't belong. And now you've killed my baby brother.
Lt. Cmdr. Robby Jackson
- Attention to orders. I have a presentation to make. For service above and beyond the call of duty of a tourist, or even a Marine, we recognize Professor John Patrick Ryan, with the Order of the Purple Target. [he hangs a medal around Jack's neck in the shape of a bulls-eye, with the words "SHOOT ME" on it] And hope that he will duck next time, lest he become part of history, rather than a teacher of it.
- SAS could take out any one of these camps in under two minutes. Kill everybody there and be gone before the echo fades. Are you sure this is the same woman? [Jack has a vacant look on his face] Keep at it, then.
- Admiral Greer: Excuse me, Jack, tell me one thing in life that is absolutely for certain.
- Jack: My daughter's love.
- Robby: So, you just waded on in like John Wayne. Why'd you do it? What were you thinking, man?
- Jack: I don't know. I wasn't thinking.
- Robby: That's it? You sound like some of my students.
- Jack: It just pissed me off. I couldn't just stand there and watch him shoot those people right in front of me. It was... rage. Pure rage... Just made me mad.
- Robby: Here's hoping you never get mad at me, man.
- Marty: Jack, do you have any idea how big a deal it is to retask those satellites?
- Jack: Yeah.
- Jimmy: Ah, ye're not going to make me wear a rubber, are ye? Ye know, the church says wearing one of them's a sin, darlin'.
- Annette: So's this, Darlin'.
- [shoots Jimmy while he lies in bed]
- Sean: I saw his wife and daughter die, but she and Neddy blew it. Ryan's still alive.
- Kevin: They're not dead, Sean.
- Sean: What?
- Kevin: They survived it. I can't say it any plainer than that. It doesn't matter. Your trip served its purpose.
- Sean: It does matter!
- Jack: Hello
- Sean: [on the phone] How's the family, Ryan? Nearly lost them, didn't you? It's easy to get at them. You should look after your family better, you know? Are you there?
- Jack: Yeah.
- Sean: I understand your little girl's feeling better, eh? Lost her spleen though, eh? Pity, that. Make it a mighty tough on her to fight off infection. Eh, Jacky?
- Jack: You sick son of a bitch!
- Cathy: It was him wasn't it? He's never gonna leave us alone.
- Jack: He'll never get that close to us again, honey. That's why he calls in the middle of the night. It's all he can do.
- Cathy: You get him, Jack. I don't care what you have to do. Just get him.
- Jack: I want to know where Sean Miller and Kevin O'Donnell are.
- Paddy: [scoffs] Let me try and understand this. You want me to sell out my fellow Irishmen to you? I don't think you understand me at all.
- Jack: Oh, I think I do.
- Paddy: Listen! I don't give a damn what they've done. But the day I sell out my own people is the day I'll put a bullet through my head.
- Jack: So, that's it then?
- Paddy: That's it. You know on second thought maybe I won't have a drink with you.
- Jack: Fine. I'll go home.
- Paddy: Have a nice trip.
- Jack: I'll go home and call all the news stations. Invite them into my daughter's hospital ward. Give them what they want. [Gets in O'Neil's face] I don't give a shit whether you did it or not. But if you don't help me, I will put such a stranglehold on your gun money that your boys will be out in the streets throwing rocks! I will fucking destroy you! I will make it my mission in life!
- [about Paddy O'Neill and the pictures he provided to Jack]
- Marty: You tell O'Neill that you're looking for a girl, he gives you the pictures of a girl. He obliges you to get you off his back. And you believe him?
- Jack: I didn't tell him I was looking for a girl, Marty.
- Marty Cantor: [about Sean Miller] They were moving him to Albany Prison in the Isle of Wight while it happened. We think he's left the country.
- Admiral Greer: Marty, excuse me. Let's deal in what we know and not what we don't. We know he's escaped. We know it happened in Kent near the Channel. If he's left the country... Jack, listening? The chances he'd come here, that he'd try, that he could come here are so remote, I have trouble even saying it.
- Jack: And yet your first instinct was to come all the way here and tell me.
- [about Sally Ryan, who they are there to kill]
- Miller's Driver: Kind of cute, isn't she?
- Sean: Is she?
- Not for honor. Not for country. For his wife and child.
- Let the Games Begin.
- Harrison Ford - Jack Ryan
- Anne Archer - Dr. Caroline Catherine "Cathy" Ryan
- Patrick Bergin - Kevin O'Donnell
- Sean Bean - Sean Miller
- Thora Birch - Sally Ryan
- James Fox - Lord William Holmes
- Ellen Geer - Rose
- Samuel L. Jackson - Lieutenant Commander Robby Jackson
- Polly Walker - Annette
- J. E. Freeman - Marty Cantor
- James Earl Jones - Vice Admiral Jim Greer
- Richard Harris - Paddy O'Neil
- Alex Norton - Dennis Cooley
- Hugh Fraser - Geoffrey Watkins
- Alun Armstrong - Sgt. Owens
- David Threlfall - Inspector Robert Highland