Jump to navigation Jump to search
Paul Gerhardt (12 March 1607 – 27 May 1676) was a German hymn writer.
- O sacred head, now wounded,
With grief and shame bowed down;
Now scornfully surrounded
With thorns, thy only crown.
- Passion Corale , based on twelfth century Latin hymn, st. 1
- Oh! make me Thine forever;
And should I fainting be,
Lord! let me never, never,
Outlive my love to Thee!
- Reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 400.
- Paul Gerhardt 1607-1676 from The Cyber Hymnal
- Theodore Brown Hewitt. Paul Gerhardt as a Hymn Writer and His Influence on English Hymnody New Haven: Yale University Press. 1918
- In Behalf of Paul Gerhardt and the Elenchus
- Paul Gerhardt's Spiritual Songs, trans. J. Kelly, 80 pages, 1867.