Jump to navigation Jump to search
Persepolis was the ceremonial capital of the Achaemenid Empire (ca. 550–330 BC). Persepolis is situated 60 km northeast of the city of Shiraz in Fars Province, Iran. The earliest remains of Persepolis date back to 515 BC.
Quotes about Persepolis
- By the favor of Ahuramazda, this Gate of All Nations, I built. Much other good (construction) was built within this (city) Persepolis, which I built and which my father built. Whatever good construction is seen, all that by the favor of Ahuramazda we built.
- No city was more mischievous to the Greeks than the seat of the ancient kings of Persia (...)
- Alexander the Great, as quoted in Curt. 5.6.1-7.12 [Cited in "Persepolis", English Wikipedia]
- Alexander described it to the Macedonians as the most hateful of the cities of Asia, and gave it over to his soldiers to plunder, all but the palaces. It was the richest city under the sun, and the private houses had been furnished with every sort of wealth over the years. The Macedonians raced into it, slaughtering all the men whom they met and plundering the residences; many of the houses belonged to the common people and were abundantly supplied with furniture and wearing apparel of every kind
- Diod. 17.70.1-73.2 17.70 [Cited in "Persepolis", English Wikipedia]
- The Macedonians were ashamed that so renowned a city had been destroyed by their king in a drunken revel; therefore the act was taken as earnest, and they forced themselves to believe that it was right that it should be wiped out in exactly that manner.
- Cleitarchus, FGrHist. 137, F. 11 (= Athenaeus 13. 576d-e) [Cited in "Persepolis", English Wikipedia]
- When you see Persepolis for the first time as I did, facing Marvdasht, you are likely to be disappointed but once inside the ruins themselves you are overwhelmed by the still-proud soaring columns, and by the quality and the fresh state of the bas-relief carvings which are certainly among the finest in the history of the world’s art. But mostly you are transfixed by the sudden realization that all this happened 24 centuries ago, and that people from every nation in the known world of the time had stood in the same place and felt the same.