Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The International Phonetic Association is like the Episcopal church. One can hold almost any theoretical position as long as one gets the symbols right.
- His email signature.
- It was really [David] Whitteridge who taught me to be a scientist.
- Ladefoged's informal CV[specific citation needed]; on his becoming a scientist.
- I wanted to find out why Shelley could write better-sounding poetry than I.
- Los Angeles Times (1970)[specific citation needed]; on why he chose to pursue phonetics.
- [It's] not our decision to make. It's up to the people themselves.
- National Public Radio (1999)[specific citation needed]; on the preservation of languages.
- My immediate answer was, 'I don't have a singing butler and three maids who sing, but I will tell you what I can as an assistant professor.'
- Los Angeles Times (2004)[specific citation needed]; on his response to Cukor's request to assist Rex Harrison to behave like a phonetician.
Quotes about Ladefoged
- He did extensive linguistic fieldwork on a scale it had not been done before, and when he brought it back from the field he found ways to use sophisticated laboratory equipment to analyze his recordings.
- Patricia Keating, UCLA, on Ladefoged's contribution to his field.