Peter S. Beagle
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The Unicorn Sonata … tells us that our true home is often right around the corner, if we'd only open our eyes — and our ears — to find it.
- The Unicorn Sonata (1996)
- When I was very young every grownup was a hero. It's been all downhill since then, and I have only two left.
- "My Last Heroes" in The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances (1997)
The Last Unicorn (1968)
- The true secret in being a hero lies in knowing the order of things. … Things must happen when it is time for them to happen. Quests may not simply be abandoned; prophecies may not be left to rot like unpicked fruit; unicorns may go unrescued for a very long time, but not forever. The happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story.
- Schmendrick stepped out into the open and said a few words. They were short words, undistinguished either by melody or harshness, and Schmendrick himself could not hear them for the Red Bull's dreadful bawling. But he knew what they meant, and he knew exactly how to say them, and he knew that he could say them again when he wanted to, in the same way or in a different way. Now he spoke them gently and with joy, and as did so he felt his immortality fall from him like an armour, or like a shroud.
- My people are in the world again. No sorrow will live in my heart as long as that joy — save one, and I thank you for that, too.
The Last Unicorn (1982 film)
- I am the only Unicorn there is? The Last? … That cannot be. Why would I be the last? What do men know? Because they have seen no unicorns for a while does not mean we have all vanished. We do not vanish. … There has never been a time without unicorns. We live forever! We are as old as the sky, old as the moon! We can be hunted, trapped; we can even be killed if we leave our forests, but we do not vanish. … Am I truly the last?
- The Unicorn, after overhearing hunters declare her to be the last unicorn.
- Don't look back, and don't run. You must never run from anything immortal; it attracts their attention.
- Official Peter Beagle website
- Unofficially Peter S. Beagle
- Conlan Press, Peter's affiliated American publisher for books, audiobooks, and signed editions
- Conlan Press champions Beagle's fight for his royalties
- Peter S. Beagle's fans speak out in support of his legal fight
- Green Man Review Special Peter S. Beagle issue
- SWINDLE Magazine Interview with Peter S. Beagle