Phantom of the Opera (1943 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The screen's classic of terror! (taglines)
- See? Didn't I tell you it was beautiful? You didn't know we had a lake all to ourselves, did you? They've poisoned your mind against me. That's why you're afraid. Look at your lake, Christine. You'll love it here when you get used to the dark. And you'll love the dark, too. It's friendly and peaceful. It brings rest and relief from pain. It's right under the Opera. The music comes down and the darkness distills it, cleanses it of the suffering that made it. Then it's all beauty. And life here is like a resurrection.
- Signor Ferretti:I'm sorry, Claudin. Really sorry. If I had the time- But my expenses are great, and you must remember that many who can pay are waiting to study with me. Well, I'll let her come a few times, and, uh, then I will tell her she no longer needs me.
- Enrique Claudin: B-But that isn't true.
- Signor Ferretti: As a matter of fact, if you had the money, she might be launched on a career very soon. I assume that Mademoiselle Dubois has not the means to pay for her own instructions.
- Enrique Claudin: Why, her month's salary wouldn't be enough to pay for one of your lessons. But, uh, I have written a concerto. Now, will you trust me if I can arrange to have it published?
- Signor Ferretti: Every violinist has written a concerto! Come, come, my dear Claudin.
- Enrique Claudin: But I have faith in this one. As much faith as I had in Mademoiselle Dubois when I came to you three years ago. Now, I was right about her, Signor. And I'm right about this. Pleyel and Desjardins are certain to publish it, and they'll give me a substantial advance. You'll see!
- Raoul D'Aubert: Would you join me for a bit of supper at the Cafe de l'Opera?
- Anatole Garron: With pleasure, monsieur.
- Raoul D'Aubert: Think we can get through this crowd?
- Anatole Garron: Certainly. After all, who'd pay any attention to a baritone and a detective?
- The Picture That has Everything! ROMANCE!...in the shadow of sinister suspense! MUSIC! that mounts to thrilling rapture! SUSPENSE!...opera with death at every performance!
- IT WILL LIVE IN YOUR MEMORY forever!
- Claude Rains — Erique Claudin/The Phantom of the Opera
- Susanna Foster — Christine DuBois
- Nelson Eddy — Anatole Garron
- Edgar Barrier — Raoul Dubert