Phantom of the Paradise
Jump to navigation Jump to search
He sold his soul for Rock 'N' Roll! (taglines)
- Trust me.
- Get this fag out of here.
- Winslow, what a foolish thing to do. Didn't you read your contract closely? See where it says Terms of Agreement, can you read what it says? "This contract terminates with Swan." No more suicides, Winslow, you gave up your right to rest in peace when you signed this contract.
- Saturday, November 19, 1953. Today I have decided to kill myself. Being the greatest showman of my time, I am recording live for the Swan archives. Why? Simple, I'm getting old. Oh, I can't bear it. To see this beautiful face ravaged by the forces of time? If I can't be young forever, I'd rather end it all — now.
- Look at yourself. Look at yourself!
- Your voice, remember? You promised me your voice! Our contract, remember?
- All my dreams are lost and I can't sleep.
Sleep alone could ease my mind.
All my tears are dry and I can't weep.
Old emotions may they rest in peace and dream.
Dream a bunch of friends.
Rest in peace and dream.
Dream it never ends.
- But I'm innocent! Swan stole my music and framed me!
- Never sing my music again. Not here, not anywhere. Do you understand? Never again. My music is for Phoenix. Only she can sing it. Anyone else who tries, dies!
- I'm not a screamer. I'm a singer.
- Our love is an old love, baby.
It's older than all our years.
I have seen in strange young eyes
- "Old Souls" by "Winslow Leach" (lyrics actually by Paul Williams); Jessica Harper (Phoenix), performing the song in the film, at Phantompalooza2 - shorter clip of the Phantompalooza, but better quality
- We're old souls in a new life baby.
They gave us a new life
To live and learn.
- "Old Souls"
- Our paths have crossed and parted,
This love affair was started
Long, long ago.
This love survives the ages
In its story lives are pages
Fill them up, may ours turn slow.
- "Old Souls"
- Our love is a strong love, baby.
We give it all
And still receive.
- "Old Souls"
- All souls last forever
So we need never fear goodbye.
- "Old Souls"
- In time, we kiss … Hello.
- "Old Souls"
- Arnold Philbin: You know what?
- Winslow Leach: What?
- Arnold Philbin: I think the Juicy Fruits are gonna dig it.
- Winslow Leach: The Juicy Fruits?
- Arnold Philbin: I'm not promising anything, kid-
- [Winslow slams Philbin against the wall]
- Winslow Leach: I'm not gonna let my music be mutilated by those greaseballs!
- Arnold Philbin: Hey, take it easy —
- Winslow Leach: I'm the only one who can sing Faust!
- Swan: Phoenix, Swan here. I want you answer a question for me.
- Phoenix: Yes.
- Swan: What would you give me to sing?
- Phoenix: Anything you want?
- Swan: Anything? Would you give me your voice?
- Swan: Here's the contract. Everything I've said and more is in it.
- Winslow Leach: I'll read it.
- Swan: At your leisure.
- Winslow Leach: "The party of the first part gives the party of the second part and his associates full power to do with him at their pleasure. To rule, to send, to fetch, or carry him or his, be it either body, soul, flesh, blood or goods." What does that mean?
- Swan: That's a transportation clause.
- [Swan has moved to the other side of the Phantom]
- Winslow Leach: "All articles which have been excluded shall be deemed included." What does that mean?
- Swan: That's a clause to protect you, Winslow. Anyway, what difference does it make? What choice do you have?
- Winslow Leach: [after reading the contract] I'll rewrite my cantata. But you best play what I write.
- [Swan pokes the Phantom's finger with his pen, drawing blood…]
- Swan: Ink isn't worth anything to me, Winslow. Now sign.
- Beef: Man, you better get yourself a castrato for this, 'cause it's a little out of my range.
- Swan: Something bothering you, Beef?
- Beef: Swan, this was scored for a chick. I'm not doing it in drag.
- Swan: You can sing it better than any bitch.
- Beef: You don't know how right you are, Goliath.
- Beef: Oh, I knew I shouldn't be screwing around with the dead man's music. This place is possessed.
- Arnold Philbin: What are you talking about?
- Beef: You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does.
- Arnold Philbin: Opening night prima donnas. Look, iron man, if you're so uptight, take a shower and cool off.
- Beef: Listen, Philbin, there really is a phantom. He was just in my shower. He threatened my life. He said his music was just for Phoenix. Only she can sing it. Anyone who else who tries, dies.
- Arnold Philbin: What the hell are you talking about?
- Beef: Look, Philbin, I am a professional. I have been in this business a long time. Now if I don't want to do a show, it's not because I got stage fright. It's because some creature from beyond doesn't want me to do the show. Now gangway.
- Beef: Can't you feel the vibes in your own house, man? Bad, sport, real bad. The karma's so thick in here, you need an aqualung to breathe.
- Arnold Philbin: I know what it is.
- Beef: Oh, you do, huh?
- Arnold Philbin: Yeah. Do you wanna know what it is?
- Beef: Why don't you tell me what it is?
- Arnold Philbin: Speed, that what it is.
- Beef: Speed?
- Arnold Philbin: Yeah.
- Beef: What do you know about it? You just pass the stuff out, I take it. I know drug real from real real.
- Winslow Leach: Phoenix, no one's singing is this Paradise again. No one's ever gonna sing my Faust again. No one but you. Phoenix, leave this place! Swan'll destroy you too!
- Phoenix: You're crazy! Why should I go with you? Don't you hear that crowd down there? Why should I give that up?
- Winslow Leach: They'll want more now. They want much more. They want more than you could ever give.
- Phoenix: I'll give them whatever they want.
- Swan: What do I have to do?
- The Devil: [holding a contract] It's all here. Read it carefully, and then sign at the bottom in blood.
- Swan: Blood? My blood?
- The Devil: Messy, I know. But it's the only way I can bind you. Tradition. What do you have to lose?
- Swan: Nothing. [picks up his razor] I was gonna use this on my wrist.
- The Devil: Your soul is damned either way.
- Swan: What soul? [cuts his thumb]
- The Devil: Don't waste it. Now sign.
- Swan: [to an assassin] Remember, she must be hit just as Philbin says "Till death do you part."
- Arnold Philbin: Now, wait a minute. This may be none of my business or anything, but if you're gonna kill her, why do it here tonight?
- Swan: An assassination live on television coast to coast? That's entertainment!
- The music made him do it!
- He's been maimed and framed, beaten, robbed, and mutilated. But they still can't keep him from the woman he loves.
- The most highly acclaimed horror phantasy of our time.
- He sold his soul for rock 'n' roll.
- Paul Williams - Swan
- William Finley - Winslow Leach/The Phantom
- Jessica Harper - Phoenix
- George Memmoli - Arnold Philbin
- Gerrit Graham - Beef