Philadelphia is the largest city in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the second largest city on the East Coast of the United States, and the fifth-most-populous city in the United States. It is located in the Northeastern United States at the confluence of the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers, and it is the only consolidated city-county in Pennsylvania. Popular nicknames for Philadelphia are Philly and The City of Brotherly Love, the latter of which comes from the literal meaning of the city's name in Greek "brotherly love", compounded from philos (φίλος) "loving", and adelphos (ἀδελφός) "brother").
|This Geography related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- It is a handsome city, but distractingly regular. After walking about it for an hour or two, I felt that I would have given the world for a crooked street. The collar of my coat appeared to stiffen, and the brim of my hat to expand, beneath its Quakerly influence.
- Charles Dickens, American Notes (1842), ch. VII.
- They say that the lady from Philadelphia who is staying in town is very wise.
Suppose I go ask her what is best to be done.
- Lucretia P. Hale, Peterkin Papers, Chapter I, reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 594.
- Hail! Philadelphia, tho' Quaker thou be,
The birth-day of medical honors to thee
In this country belongs; 'twas thou caught the flame,
That crossing the ocean from Englishmen came
And kindled the fires of Wisdom and Knowledge,
Inspired the student, erected a college,
First held a commencement with suitable state,
In the year of our Lord, seventeen sixty-eight.
- William Todd Helmuth, The Story of a City Doctor, reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 594.
- `Cause I live and breathe this Philadelphia freedom.
From the day that I was born I've waved the flag.
Philadelphia freedom took me knee-high to a man.
Yeah gave me peace of mind my daddy never had.
Oh Philadelphia freedom shine on me, I love you.
Shine a light through the eyes of the ones left behind.
Shine a light, shine a light
Shine a light, won't you shine a light.
Philadelphia freedom I love you, yes I do.
- Official City of Philadelphia web site.