Philip James Bailey
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Let each man think himself an act of God,
His mind a thought, his life a breath of God;
And let each try, by great thoughts and good deeds,
To show the most of Heaven he hath in him.
- Any heart turned Godward feels more joy
In one short hour of prayer, than e'er was raised
By all the feasts of earth since its foundation.
- I cannot be content with less than heaven;
Living, and comprehensive of all life.
Thee, universal heaven, celestial all;
Thee, sacred seat of intellective time;
Field of the soul's best wisdom: home of truth,
- Men might be better if we better deemed
Of them. The worst way to improve the world
Is to condemn it.
- Scene IV, A Mountain; Sunrise. Compare: "The surest plan to make a man / Is to think him so", J. R. Lowell, Biglow Papers, II, ii. St. 9
- We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths;
In feelings, not in figures on a dial.
We should count time by heart-throbs. He most lives
Who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best.
Life's but a means unto an end; that end
Beginning, mean, and end to all things, — God.
The dead have all the glory of the world.
- Scene V, A Country Town
- Who never doubted never half believed
Where doubt there truth is—'t is her shadow.
- Scene V, A Country Town; comparable to Alfred, Lord Tennyson "There lives more faith in honest doubt / Believe me, than in half the creeds."
- America thou half-brother of the world!
With something good and bad of every land.
- Scene X, Earth's Surface
- Music tells no truths.
- Scene XI, A Village Feast
- While men are what they are; while they have bad
Passions to be roused up: while ruled by men;
While all the powers and treasures of a land
At beck of the ambitious, wrongs may be
Offered, with insult; yea, while rights are worth
Maintaining; freedom keeping, or life having,
So long dread I, the sword shall shine.
- Poets are all who love, who feel great truths,
And tell them; and the truth of truths is love.
- Scene XVI, The Hesperian Sphere
- The worst men often give the best advice.
- They who forgive most shall be most forgiven.
- Kindness is wisdom. There is none in life
But needs it, and may learn.
- Envy's a coal comes hissing hot from hell.
- Respect is what we owe; love what we give.
- Prayer is the spirit speaking truth to Truth.