Prince Rogers Nelson (born June 7, 1958) is a funk/rock/pop/R&B singer, songwriter, and actor. He goes by the name Prince but between 1993 and 2000 he went by an unpronounceable symbol and was referred to The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. During his career, he produced ten platinum album, had 40 top ten singles, and promoted singers such as Sheila E., Carmen Electra, The Time, and Vanity 6. The Artist has written over one thousand songs which have been released by himself, a pen name, or another artist. In 2004, Prince was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and was ranked #28 out of 100 in Rolling Stone Greatest artist of all times.
- 1 Sourced
- 2 Albums
- 3 External links
With special thanks
2 Clare Fischer 4 Making Brighter the Colors
Black and White
- At this point, I wouldn't want to jinx it by meeting him. His arrangements are incredible. I just send him a tape, we talk on the phone, and he sends me the finished orchestra tracks. Hear that? I'm gonna get that chord on the radio!
- It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. And we're in a place now where we all need one another, and it's going to get rougher.
- Tavis Smiley Show, PBS  (April 27, 2009).
- Well, the reason why is because I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and we've never voted. That's not to say that I don't think Barack Obama - President Obama - is a very smart individual and he seems like he means well. Prophecy is what we all have to go by now.
- When asked why he doesn't vote, Tavis Smiley Show (April 27, 2009).
- The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you.
(In an interview Prince did with Chris Rock on VH1 in 1997); Chris Rock said: "I love the story of how you turned down an offer to appear in, Michael Jakcson's music video for, Bad. Prince's response to this was: "You know that Wesley Snipes character? That would've been me. Now you run that video in your mind. The first line in that song is your butt is mine. Now I said to Michael who's gonna sing that to whom? Cause you sure ain't singing it to me and I sure ain't singing it to you so right there we got a problem".
- You can live your own life and I'll live mine
I will never try to keep you down
And even if I only see you some of the time
I'm just happy when you come around
And even if the sun don't shine
I'm warm enough when you're in these arms of mine
Just as long as we're together.
- I wanna be your lover
I wanna be the only one that makes you come running
I wanna be your lover
I wanna turn you on, turn you out, all night long, make you shout
Oh, lover! Yeah.
I wanna be the only one you come for.
- There's some talk going 'round town
That you really don't give a damn
They say you really put me down
When I'm doing the best I can
I gave you all of my love
I even gave you my body
Tell me, baby, ain't that enough?
Dirty Mind (1980)
- Now where I come from
We don't let society
Tell us how it's supposed to be
Our clothes, our hair
We don't care
It's all about being there
Everybody's going Uptown
That's where I wanna be
Set your mind free.
- I just can't believe all the things people say -- Controversy
Am I black or white? Am I straight or gay? -- Controversy
Do I believe in God? Do I believe in me? -- Controversy
- Do I believe in God? Do I believe in me?
Some people wanna die so they can be free
(I said) Life is just a game, we're all just the same...do you wanna play?
- C'mon everybody, yeah, this is your life
I'm talking about a revolution we gotta organize
We don't need no segregation, we don't need no race
New age revelation, I think we got a case.
I'm OK as long as u are here with me
Sexuality is all we ever need.
- I was dreamin' when I wrote this
So sue me if I go 2 fast.
But life is just a party, and parties weren't meant 2 last.
War is all around us, my mind says prepare 2 fight
So if I gotta die I'm gonna listen 2 my body tonight.
Yeah, they say two thousand zero zero party over,
oops out of time
So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999.
- I guess I shoulda closed my eyes
When U drove me 2 the place
Where your horses run free.
'Cuz I felt a little ill
When I saw all the pictures
Of the jockeys that were there before me.
Believe it or not,
I started to worry
I wondered if I had enough class.
But it was Saturday night
I guess that makes it all right
And U say, "Baby, have U got enough gas?"
- I get delirious whenever you're near
Lose all self-control, baby just can't steer
Wheels get locked in place
Stupid look on my face.
It comes 2 makin' a pass, pretty mama
I just can't win a race.
Purple Rain (1984)
- Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
2 get through this thing called life.
Electric word life
It means forever and that's a mighty long time
But I'm here 2 tell U
There's something else:
A world of never ending happiness
U can always see the sun, day or night.
- So when u call up that shrink in Beverly Hills
U know the one - Dr Everything'll Be Alright
Instead of asking him how much of your time is left
Ask him how much of your mind, baby.
'Cuz in this life
Things are much harder than in the afterworld
In this life,
You're on your own.
- Let's Go Crazy.
- Dr. Everything'll Be Alright will make everything go wrong
Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill
Hang tough children.
- Let's Go Crazy.
- I knew a girl named Nikki
I guess U could say she was a sex fiend
I met her in a hotel lobby
Masturbating with a magazine.
She said "How'd U like 2 waste some time?"
And I could not resist when I saw little Nikki grind.
- Dig if U will the picture
Of U and I engaged in a kiss.
The sweat of your body covers me.
Can U my darling,
Can U picture this?
Dream if U can a courtyard,
An ocean of violets in bloom.
Animals strike curious poses;
They feel the heat,
The heat between me and U.
- How can U just leave me standing?
Alone in a world that's so cold? (So cold)
Maybe I'm just 2 demanding
Maybe I'm just like my father, 2 bold
Maybe you're just like my mother
She's never satisfied (She's never satisfied)
Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like
When doves cry.
- When Doves Cry.
- I'm not a woman;
I'm not a man.
I am something that U'll never understand.
I'll never beat U;
I'll never lie.
And if U're evil I'll forgive U by and by.
- I never meant 2 cause u any sorrow
I never meant 2 cause u any pain
I only wanted 2 one time see u laughing
I only wanted 2 see u laughing in the purple rain.
Around the World in a Day (1985)
- There is a park that is known
4 the face it attracts
colorful people whose hair
On 1 side is swept back
The smile on their faces
It speaks of profound inner peace
Ask where they're going
They'll tell U nowhere
They've taken a lifetime lease
On Paisley Park.
- She wore a raspberry beret
The kind U find in a second hand store
And if it was warm she wouldn't wear much more
I think I love her.
- Pop life
Everybody needs a thrill
We all got a space 2 fill
Everybody can't be on top
But life it ain't real funky
Unless it's got that pop
Parade Under the Cherry Moon (1986)
- I want to live life to the ultimate high,
Maybe I'll die young like heroes die,
Maybe I'll kiss you some wild special way.
If nobody kills me or thrills me soon,
I'll die in your arms under the cherry moon.
- Under the Cherry Moon.
- Happiness in it's uncut form
Is the feeling that I get, you're warm, warm
Happy's what I get when we do what we do
Happiness, mama, is being with u
- Women not girls rule my world
I said they rule my world
Act your age, mama (not your shoe size)
Not your shoe size
Maybe we could do the twirl
U don't have 2 watch Dynasty
2 have an attitude
U just leave it all up 2 me
My love will be your food
- U don't have 2 be rich
2 be my girl
U don't have 2 be cool
2 rule my world
Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
I just want your extra time and your
Sign O' the Times (1987)
- Oh yeah
In France a skinny man
Died of a big disease with a little name
By chance his girlfriend came across a needle
And soon she did the same
At home there are seventeen-year-old boys
And their idea of fun
Is being in a gang called The Disciples
High on crack, totin' a machine gun.
- Here we are folks
The dream we all dream of
Boy versus girl in the World Series of love
Tell me, have U got the look?
- U walked in (I walked in)
I woke up (U woke up)
I never seen a pretty girl look so tough' baby (baby)
U got that look, yes U do (yes U do)
Color U peach and black
Color me takin' aback, baby
Crucial, I think I wantcha.
- And I said, baby don't waste your time
I know what's on your mind
U wouldn't be satisfied with a one night stand
And I could never take the place of your man.
- I'm going down 2 Alphabet Street
I'm gonna crown the first girl that I meet
I'm gonna talk so sexy
She'll want me from my head 2 my feet.
- This feeling's so good in every single way,
I want it morning, noon and night of every day;
And if by chance i cannot have it I can't say
But with it I know heaven's just a kiss away.
- It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I just can't sleep
Outside the rain is pourin', I'm lonely as can be
Maybe 2night'll be different than the nights before
I need 2 feel someone beside me, I can't be alone no more
- I’ve never seen the moon look so lovely as the night I saw it with you.
It let me know I’d never seen the moon before. (Never seen the moon before)
So many speak of the moon as though it had no flaws.
But to compare it to a beauty like yours would give one pause.