Quest for Camelot
Quest for Camelot (in 104 minutes released on PS5 4K Movie) is a 1998 animated film from Warner Bros. Animation about a young woman named Kayley who wants to be a knight of the Round Table in Camelot like her father, a blind young man named Garrett who wishes only to be left alone, and their quest to find Excalibur. It is loosely based on the novel The King's Damosel by Vera Chapman. A Blu-ray released on TBA in the United States and Canada.
- [after seeing her father ride off with the knights to Camelot] One day, I'll be a knight, like father.
- [to herself, lamenting on the normal everyday life after she and her mother disagree over her dreams of becoming a knight] How am I going to do great things if I'm stuck here with these silly chickens?
- [To Ruber, before she swings down with a large wooden beam to knock him away from the king] I will not serve a false king!
- [His first lines, after Kayley falls into a swamp bed and gets tangled in a net] Hey! That's my net.
- [to Ayden] You don't understand. In Camelot, she'd only see me through their eyes. Not a knight, not a man, not anything.
Devon and Cornwall the Two-Headed Dragon
- Devon: Well, frankly, we're the reason cousins shouldn't marry. [Explaining why they're "conjoined twin dragons"]
- Devon: Oh. Enchante, mademoiselle. I'm Devon, and this growth on my neck is Cornwall.
- Cornwall: But you can call me "Corny", for short. [Meeting Kayley for the first time]
- Cornwall: [To Kayley, after Garrett has left the group] Forget about him. You're better off with out him. He walks funny. He talks funny. People throw darts at him.
- Devon: [To Cornwall, appalled by his insults against Garrett] How can you be so cold-blooded?
- Cornwall: [To Devon] I'm a reptile. [He sticks his tongue out]
- Devon: [To Cornwall, poking him] Listen, you Jurassic twit! Kayley deserves someone who will love her. [Devon performs the following actions upon Cornwall] Someone... who'll hold her in his arms, [as he squeezes Cornwall's head, the latter's eyes bulge] who'll run his fingers through her hair, [as he runs his fingers across Cornwall's head, which squeak as he does so, he pulls out hair. He pushes his and Cornwall's heads together so their eyes are immediately opposing each other] look deeply in her eyes, [Breaks off the embrace] and make her feel like a real woman! [He kisses Cornwall, but Cornwall splutters and Devon feels nauseous and turns green and they both spit and splutter]
- [After Arthur had repelled him with Excalibur] One day, that sword will be in my hand, and all will be mine!!
- [To Juliana, who had noticed that he is insane] I'm so glad you've noticed! I've been working at it for years!
- [after he used his magic potion to meld Excalibur to his hand] Don't worry, little girl. I'll make sure Arthur gets it back. Or gets it in the back. [He breaks out laughing] As the case may be! [Softly] Throw her into the wagon.
- [after Kayley had stopped him from attacking the king] You're in the way, just like your father! Since you're dying to be like him! [he swings Excalibur at her, but she dodges at the right time] Let's see if I can help you out!
- [his last words before he is vaporized by the stone] Oh, no! The stone!
- [Covered in mud while one-eyed stalk creatures are looking at him] Are you looking at me? Are you looking at me? [The one-eyed stalk creatures disappear. He turns. The one-eyed stalk creatures look at him again, but disappear as soon as he turns, making his wing look like a gun]
- [confronting an iron man] You've got to ask yourself: "Do I feel - clucky?" Well, do ya... punk? [He pecks the iron man]
- Kayley: Come on. [While Sir Lionel is helping Lady Juliana getting off of her horse, is standing on her horse.] Father! [As she jumps into her father's arms, they roll down onto a sandy beach hill.] Father, do you really have to go?
- Sir Lionel: I’m afraid I must, Kayley. You know The King’s Knights will be here soon.
- Kayley: Tell me again why you became a knight.
- Lady Juliana: Kayley, you’ve heard it a thousand times!
- Sir Lionel: Oh, but it’s fine dear. Well, my daughter, before you were born, the land was dark and treacherous. [draws three circles in the sand with his finger] The people stood divided, brother fighting brother. [We go to a flashback, where at three stone pillars holding the magic sword, Excalibur.] The only hope for peace was in the legend of Excalibur, for it was said that only the true king could pull the magical sword from its stone and unite the people. Many tried, all failed. [Everybody tries to pull out Excalibur, but to no avail, gave up] Then, on the very day you were born, [A young man emerges from the crowd] an unexpected hero stepped forth, his name was Arthur, [Arthur pulls out Excalibur, much to everybody's amazement] and he was that true king. With Excalibur at his side he led us out of the darkness [Years pass by, as a castle is being constructed] and together we built the greatest kingdom on Earth, [Everybody helped build a kingdom] everyone rejoiced. [All of Camelot's residents danced and formed the three interlocked rings, showing union and Kayley is dancing inside a drawn circle, where she is dreaming about Camelot]
- Kayley: Camelot!
- Sir Lionel: [shows Kayley the shield representing the three rings] And so these three rings represent the unity of our people. As a knight, I took an oath to protect Camelot, King Arthur, and Excalibur.
- Kayley: The knights are here!
- Sir Lionel: I must go now, Kayley. The king has summoned his knights for a special day in Camelot. [kisses Lady Juliana and begins to ride off] Goodbye.
- Kayley: I’m coming with you daddy!
- Sir Lionel: Yes, when you are old enough, Kayley. I will take you to Camelot. I promise. I love you.
- Kayley: One day, I will be a knight, like father.
- Sir Lionel: Let’s go!
- King Arthur: It's been ten years we celebrate, All that made our kingdom great, Liberty and justice for all, Each of us we now divide, for equal shares our countryside, promising equality for all we reside!
- Knights of the Round Table: United we stand, now and forever, in truth, divided we fall. Hand upon hand, brother to brother, no one shall be greater than all.
- Liberty – Justice – Trust
- Freedom – Peace – Honor
- Goodness – Strength – Valor
- Ruber: ME!!! [non singing] Charming sing along. Now, let's get down to business. I waited a long time for this day. What about my new land!
- King Arthur: Sir Ruber. Always thinking of yourself. As knights of the round table, our obligation is to the people, not to ourselves. The land will be divided according to each person’s needs.
- Ruber: Then I need more than everyone. I wouldn't have supported you all these years if I thought you were running a charity.
- Sir Lionel: The King has decided!
- Ruber: Then it's time for the new king, and I vote for me.
- Sir Lionel: I will not serve a false king.
- Ruber: Then serve... A DEAD ONE!
- King Arthur: [After they all put Sir Lionel in the stone coffin with stone pillars at Lady Juliana's Farm. Tears run down Kayley's face as Arthur gives Sir Lionel's dented shield to Lady Juliana, who also cries] Your husband died saving my life. And saving Camelot. Lady Juliana, the gates of Camelot will always be open to you. [He then gives an Eulogy] Sir Lionel was my most trusted knight. And also my dear, dear friend. We will always remember how he bravely upheld the ideals of Camelot. [He then takes out Excalibur and holds it in the air and the other knights take out their swords and hold them in the air in respect for their deceased knight.]
- King Arthur: In the ten years since Sir Lionel's death, equality and freedom have spread throughout the lands. Excalibur has given us the strength to stand together against all injustice. Camelot has prospered beyond our greatest dreams-- [Arthur's speech was cut short when Ruber's Griffin crashes into the tower roof and lands on the round table with pieces of broken wood from the roof]
- Knight 4: It's a Griffin. [The Griffin growls as King Arthur is about to reach Excalibur with his hand very slowly, but The Griffin grabs Excalibur with his beak, breaking a piece of the chair, and biting King Arthur's arm. The Griffin flies up from the round table as the other Knights start to charge and throw their swords at The Griffin]
- Knight 5: It's taken Excalibur!
- Knight 6: Arthur is wounded!
- King Arthur: Never mind me! Find Merlin and go after the sword!
[Ruber's men have set ablaze Lady Juliana and Kayley's home. Ruber, with his helmet on, walks through the entrance where the door had been knocked over]
- Ruber: Knock Knock?
- Lady Juliana: Who-who are you? [Ruber takes off his helmet. Lady Juliana gasps] Ruber!
- Ruber: Juliana. I was in the neighborhood, and I thought I'd invade. How about a kiss? I hear you're still single.
- Lady Juliana: [She slaps his hand away from her chin] Impertinent pig!
- Ruber: Is that a no?
- Lady Juliana: I demand that you leave immediately!
- Ruber: So rude! And after I came all this way. Just to see you.
- Lady Juliana What do you want?
- Ruber: Camelot.
- Ruber: My faithful pet. How was the flight? Panic sweeps across the land.
- Griffin: Precisely.
- Ruber: My plan is perfect.
- Griffin: Precisely.
- Ruber: Without the sword, Arthur is vulnerable.
- Griffin: Precisely.
- Ruber: Now, Excalibur is mine.
- Griffin: [grunts] Here's where we enter a gray area. Hmm.
- [Ruber grabs The Griffin by the ruff of his neck. The Griffin groans in pain]
- Ruber: Excuse me? You lost Excalibur? How?!
- Griffin: I was attacked by a falcon.
- [Ruber is now no longer holding onto The Griffin]
- Ruber: What? My magnificent beast outmatched by a puny, little pigeon?
- Griffin: It wasn't a pigeon. It was a falcon, with silver wings.
- Ruber: [softly] Silver wings? [sarcastically] Ooh, scary. [Yelling as he grabs The Griffin by the ear] You stupid animal! Where is the sword now?
- Griffin: In a place of untold danger.
- Ruber: The Forbidden Forest.
- Griffin: Precisely, Master.
- Ruber: [runs his finger along The Griffin's beak and up to the top of his head] [softly] Have I told you today how magnificently and totally...worthless you are?!! [He rips The Griffin's eyebrow. The Griffin Screeches] Excalibur is the one thing that can keep me from my conquest of Camelot!
- [He hears a horse neighing and sees Kayley riding off towards the Forbidden Forest]
- Ruber: [screaming] Oh! The-the girl!
- [His "ironmen" are clumsy]
- Ruber: [to Bladebeak] You! You! You! Fancy Feet! After her! And bring her back! [to The Griffin] And you... [he grabs hold of The Griffin's head] you are going to lead me to [emphasizing the syllables] Excalibur!
- Bladebeak: We're not going in there, are we?
- Minion: Chicken.
- Bladebeak: But I got a wife and two eggs at home! Hey, don't leave me here!
- Kayley: [After Garrett saves her from Ironmen] That was... incredible! How you, smashed those creatures! How you-you avoided that-that-that, thing! You're amazing! You're- [Notices Garrett's not listening to her]
- Garrett: [Agrees uncaringly, as he looks over his ruined net] Mmhmm.
- Kayley: Not, even, listening to me!
- Garrett: Great, took me six weeks to make this net!
- Kayley: Net? You saved my life. Thank you.
- Garrett: Well, everyone can makes mistakes.
- Kayley: Oh, I get it. This is where King Arthur sends his unfunny jesters, right?
- Garrett: And now I'll thank you...
- Kayley: For what?
- Garrett: For reminding me why I'm a hermit! Good day! [Begins to walk away]
- Kayley: But wait! What's your name?
- Garrett: It's Garrett.
- Kayley: I'm Kayley! [Garrett seemingly continues to ignore her by walking on] Garrett! Why won't you look at me when I'm talking to you? ...Oh. Oh, I didn't realize you were...
- Garrett: What? Tall? Rugged? Handsome?
- Kayley: [Astonished] Blind.
- Garrett: [Chuckles lightly and replies sarcastically] ...You know, I always forget that one.
- Kayley: Have you got a cold? What is it?
- Garrett: We’re in Dragon Country.
- Kayley: Are you sure this is Dragon Country? I mean, shouldn't there be a sign or something? It could say, 'Welcome to Dragon Country.' ...You don't think we'll see any... do you...? Is a group of dragons a pack or a flock? Is it a gaggle or a pride? Is it a herd?
- Garrett: Quiet.
- Kayley: Do you hear something?
- Garrett: No, I just want you to be quiet.
- Kayley: [placing her hands akimbo, annoyed] Hmph!
- Cornwall: Hey, hey, easy with the stick, buddy.
- Garrett: What are you?
- Devon: Well, frankly, we're the reason cousins shouldn't marry.
[during their song, but in speech]
- Devon: Trapped! Aah! Trapped!
- Cornwall: Stuck here with you for 500 years!
- Devon: Oh, dear, it's learned to count.
- Cornwall: If you'd got me a good lawyer, I would have split 400 years ago.
- Devon: Now, listen here, pal! I didn't come here to be insulted!
- Cornwall: Oh? Well, where do you usually go?
- Garrett: Well, the good news is, we're out of Dragon Country. The bad news is, this is where we say goodbye.
- Devon: You can't leave us here! If we try to go back, we'll be banished! Ostracized. Exiled...
- Cornwall: Not to mention kicked out.
- Kayley: Why?
- Cornwall: Cause we just broke the dragons' cardinal rule!
- Kayley: Rule?
- Devon: What? Never wear brown shoes with the blue suit?
- Cornwall: No, you moron. Never help a human.
- Garrett: Come on, Kayley. We must make camp before dark.
- Devon: Camp?
- Kayley: Garrett. Let's take them with us. Please.
- Garrett: Oh, I suppose so. But no more singing!
- Devon: How about interpretive dance?
- Garrett: Kayley, I must tell you, I knew your father.
- Kayley: You did?
- Garrett: I used to live in Camelot. [We go to a flashback at Garrett who is younger and works in the stable] I was a stable boy, but I dreamt of becoming a knight. [Later the fire had broke out in one of the stables] One evening, there was a fire. [Garrett opens up the stable doors to free the horses] I rushed to save the horses but, Well. [A Horse accidentally hits Garrett in the eyes, making him fall to the ground in pain] I was hurt. [Garrett tries to see what's happened, but his vision is blurry] At first, all I could see were shapes, then shadows. Finally, my world went black. [Garrett's vision blacks out. In the morning he tries to find himself around when Sir Lionel sees him and grabs a stick] After I lost my sight [Sir Lionel passes Garrett the stick and teaches him the skills] Your father was the only one who still believed in me. He taught me that a knight's strength comes from his heart [Merlin and Ayden watch as Sir Lionel is teaching him] and his loyalty to the Oath of Camelot.
- Sir Lionel: United we stand.
- Both: Now and forever.
- Garrett: Any hope I had of becoming a knight, died with him.
- Kayley: I felt that way too, but I knew he would never want me to give up. He wouldn't want you to give up either. You're as good as any knight in Camelot.
- Garrett: You really think so?
- Devon: [walking through The Ogre's "den" - filled with carcasses - sarcastically and quietly] Charming place. I must get the name of his decorator.
[After The Ogre sat on Ruber and The Griffin]
- Ruber: The Ogre's butt!
- Griffin: Well, Master, at least things can't get any worse.
- [The ground begins the shake, knowing that The Ogre is going to break wind]
- Ruber: [to The Griffin] Wanna bet?
- [The Ogre farts offscreen, blowing Ruber and The Griffin over the heroes, who duck down and cover their noses as they run out of The Ogre's cave. Ruber and The Griffin crash at a cave wall]
- Ruber: Seize them!
- Griffin: [groaning, strained] Yes, Master.
[As Ayden flies through the end of the forest, Kayley then pulls back the branch to see Camelot in the distance]
- Kayley: Camelot! Oh Garrett, it's so beautiful!
- Garrett: Hmmm.
- Kayley: I wish you could see it.
- Garrett: I have seen it. And there was no place for me.
[hands her Excalibur]
- Kayley: Garrett, what's wrong?
- Garrett: Take Excalibur to Arthur. You don't have much time.
[Turns back towards the Forbidden Forest. Kayley is confused. Devon and Cornwall are dumbfounded]
- Kayley: [Runs ahead of him, blocking his path] But we'll deliver the sword together.
- Garrett: No. You deliver it. I...I don't belong in that world.
[Moves past her]
- Garrett: Come on, Ayden.
- Kayley: [softly] But you belong in mine.
[Kayley ends up being captured by Ruber and his Ironmen]
- Ruber': I'll take that. [takes Excalibur from its scabbard] Oh, [emphasizes the syllables of Excalibur and speaks softly] Excalibur! Mine! Forever! [to Kayley] You've been quite annoying...for a girl.
- Garrett: [to Devon and Cornwall, after they have agreed on hating Ruber, resulting in their ability of flight] You're flying.
- Devon: Gosh! He's right. We are flying.
- Cornwall: I did it! [he puts his arm in a supinated position - showing off his biceps] I'm great. [kisses his biceps twice] I love me! I did it.
[Devon hits him on the head repeatedly]
- Devon: Excuse me, egomaniac, you mean I did it.
- Cornwall: No, no!
[They fall into a mud pool]
- Garrett: Don't you get it? The only reason you can't fly or breathe fire is because you can't agree on anything. There must be something you can agree on. You both love Kayley, don't you?
[Devon and Cornwall spit out mud, sigh, and look at each other]
- Garrett: These tunnels lead to the Round Table.
- Kayley: I can't see!
- Garrett: Don't worry, I'll be your eyes.
- Merlin: Well done, Ayden.
- Jessalyn Gilsig — Kayley
- Cary Elwes — Garrett
- Bryan White (singing voice)
- Gary Oldman — Ruber
- Eric Idle — Devon
- Don Rickles — Cornwall
- Jane Seymour — Juliana
- Celine Dion (singing voice)
- Pierce Brosnan — King Arthur
- Steve Perry (singing voice)
- Bronson Pinchot — The Griffin
- Jaleel White — Bladebeak
- Gabriel Byrne — Sir Lionel
- John Gielgud — Merlin
- Frank Welker — Ayden the Falcon