Ahmir Khalib Thompson] (born January 20, 1971), known professionally as Questlove, is an American musician, songwriter, disc jockey, author, and music journalist. He is the drummer and joint frontman (with Black Thought) for the hip hop band the Roots. The Roots have been serving as the in-house band for The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon since February 17, 2014. Questlove is also one of the producers of the cast album of the Broadway musical Hamilton.
- Dare I hesitate to say that creativity might be in jeopardy because one of the key components of being creative is boredom and silence and isolation.
- On how distractions might affect creativity in “Questlove Aims To Save Your Brain: 'Creativity Might Be In Jeopardy'” in NPR (2018 May 1)
- …Hip-hop is an instant gratification, winners and losers circle, and often those who are losing give up after three or four, five years. I’m probably trendier now as a 42-year-old than I’ve ever been…
- On how his career differs than when he was 22 in “WE’VE GOT LOVE FOR QUESTLOVE” in Interview Magazine (2013 Jun 13)
- I still don’t know if I am truly creative...At times I feel like I’m a way better student than I am teacher or maker.
- As stated in the introduction of his book Creative Quest (as quoted in “The Last Word: Questlove on Why He Doesn’t Drink, Idolizing Dave Chappelle” in Rolling Stone; 2018 Apr 19)
- I jumped in the river and there’s piranhas and sharks, but I have a 500-foot lead on them.
- On what he would tell his teenaged self in “The Last Word: Questlove on Why He Doesn’t Drink, Idolizing Dave Chappelle” in Rolling Stone (2018 Apr 19)
- A lot of us are afraid that we’ll get found out as normal. The reason why bodyguards and velvet ropes really exist is mainly because a lot of celebrities don’t want you to know how normal and regular they are…
- On imposter syndrome in “The Last Word: Questlove on Why He Doesn’t Drink, Idolizing Dave Chappelle” in Rolling Stone (2018 Apr 19)