Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Were Women all like those whom here I name,
Woman to man I surely would prefer;
The Sun is feminine, nor deems it shame;
The Moon, though masculine, depends on her.
- Literary History of Persia, p. 299
- I so detached my heart from the world and cut short my hopes that for thirty years now I have performed each prayer as though it were my last and I were praying the prayer of farewell.
- as quoted in Early Islamic Mysticism (New York: Paulist Press: 1996), p. 165
- O God! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell
- and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise.
- But if I worship You for Your Own sake,
- grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty.
- as quoted in Khushwant Singh, The Freethinker's Prayer Book (2013), p. 35
- I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to Allah. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of Allah.
- as quoted in Farid al-Din Attar, Memorial of the Friends of God (c. 1230, 2009 Translation edited by Losensky).
The Sayings and Teachings of the Great Mystics of Islam (2004)
- Love, for Rabia, is the basis of spiritual perfection at all the stages on the journey to God. She teaches to love God for the sake of God.
- p. 29
- O my Lord! If I worship Thee on account of the fear of Hell, burn me in Hell, and if I worship Thee with the hope of Paradise, exclude me from it, but if I worship Thee for Thine own sake, then withhold not from me Thine Eternal Beauty.
- p. 29, also quoted in her prayer.
- I have not served God for fear of Hell, for I should be like a wretched hireling, If I did it for fear: nor for love of Paradise, for I should be a bad servant if I served for the sake of what was given, but I have served Him only for the love of Him and out of desire for Him.
- p. 29-30
- Repentance is attained by the saints with the Divine grace and it comes from the side of God who enlightens the hearts of those whom He loves. Seeking a formal forgiveness is the sin for lying. If I seek repentance of my self, I shall have need of repentance again.
- p. 30
- Seclusion is the soul's ideal preparation for reaching God. It is in the state of solitude that the soul contemplates on the attributes of God.
- p. 30
- The soul comes from God and it can be united with Him if it is purified through the process of mortification.
- p. 30