Rainier III, Prince of Monaco
Rainier Louis Henri Maxence Bertrand Grimaldi (31 May 1923 – 6 April 2005) ruled the Principality of Monaco for almost 56 years, making him one of the longest ruling monarchs in European history. Though internationally known due to his marriage to the American actress Grace Kelly, he was also responsible for reforms to Monaco's constitution and for expanding the principality's economy beyond its traditional casino gambling base. Gambling accounts for only approximately three percent of the nation's annual revenue today; when Rainier ascended the throne in 1949, it accounted for more than 95 percent.
- I am like the head of a company.
- He once said of his role in transforming Monaco.
- She was always present and ready to do things either with me or for me if I couldn’t do them, Let’s say the change is that we worked as a team and the team has been split up.
- Rainier said of his late wife in a 1983 interview.
- Monaco will always be prosperous so long as there are 3,000 rich men in the world.
- The miracle that after 700 years the family is still there shows that there's been unity between my family and the population.