Rambo: First Blood Part II
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Directed by George Cosmatos. Screenplay by Sylvester Stallone and James Cameron (director) from a story by Kevin Jarre.
They sent him on a mission and set him up to fail, but they made one mistake. They forgot who they were dealing with: Rambo.taglines
- Sir, do we get to win this time?
- [miffed at Murdock's doubts about Rambo] Pressure? Let me just say that Rambo is the best combat vet I've ever seen. A pure fighting machine with only a desire - to win a war that someone else lost. And if winning means he has to die - he'll die. No fear, no regrets. And one more thing, what you choose to call hell, he calls home.
- [Col. Trautman sees off Rambo]
- Trautman: Good luck son.
- Rambo: You remember when Murdock said he was with 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines at Kon Tum in '66?
- Trautman: Yeah.
- Rambo: The 2nd Battalion was at Kud Sank. You're the only one I trust. [gets aboard plane]
- Rambo: To survive a war, you gotta become war.
- Co-Bao: That why they pick you? Because you like to fight?
- Rambo: Nah... I'm expendable.
- Co: Expendable... What mean expendable?
- Rambo: It's like... someone... invites you to a party, and you don't show up; doesn't really matter. [points to Co's necklace] What is this?
- Co-Bao: It bring me good luck. What bring you luck?
- Rambo: [holds up his combat knife; Co stares at it in shock and surprise] I guess this.
- [Col. Trautman's angry over the decision to leave Rambo and the truth about his mission]
- Trautman: What are you doing? Do you know what the hell you've done!?!
- Murdock: Don't act so innocent, Colonel. You had your suspicions, and if you suspected then you're sort of an accessory aren't ya?
- Trautman: Don't ever count me with you and your scum! It was a lie wasn't it? Just like the whole damn war, it was a lie!
- Murdock: What are you talking about?
- Trautman: That camp... was supposed to be empty. Rambo goes in, a decorated vet, he finds no POWs, the Congress buys it - case closed! And if he happens to get caught, nobody knows he's alive except you and your computers... and you can reprogram that can't you?
- Murdock: Who the hell do you think you're talking to, Trautman?
- Trautman: A stinkin' bureaucrat who's tryin to cover his ass!
- Murdock: No, not just mine Trautman. We're talkin' about a nation here! Besides, it was your hero's fault. Now if your warrior had gone in and done what the hell he was supposed to do, we'd be out of this clean and simple. He was just supposed to take pictures!
- Trautman: And if those pictures showed something they would have been... lost... wouldn't they?
- Murdock: Oh Trautman, I still don't think you understand what this is all about.
- Trautman: The same as it always is! Money! In '72 we were supposed to pay the Cong four-and-a-half billion in war reparations. We reneged, they kept the POWs... and you're doing the same thing all over again.
- Murdock: And what the hell would you do, Trautman? Pay blackmail money to ransom our own men and finance the war effort against our allies!?! What if some burn-out POW shows up on the six o-clock news? What do you want to do... start the war all over again? You wanna bomb Hanoi? You want everybody screaming for armed invasion? Do you honestly think somebody's gonna get up on the floor of the United States Senate, and ask for billions of dollars for a couple of forgotten ghosts!?!
- Trautman: Men, Goddamn it! Men... who fought for their country!
- Murdock: That's enough! Trautman, I'm gonna forget this conversation ever took place.
- Trautman: You bastard!
- Murdock: And if I were you... I'd never make the mistake of bringing this subject up again.
- Trautman: Oh, you're the one who's making the mistake.
- Murdock: Yeah? What mistake?
- Trautman: Rambo.
- [Rambo after getting captured, and cleaned up from the nasty infested cesspool is brought in to Lt.Col. Podovsky for interrogation]
- Podovsky: I see you are no stranger to pain. Perhaps you have been among my Vietnamese comrades before, hm? No answer. Do you wish to give your name? Now, what possible harm can that cause? Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence. What you must understand is that we have to interrogate you. To Sergeant Yushin here, you are a piece of meat. A laboratory experiment. But to me, you are a comrade, similar to myself, just opposed by an act of fate. I know you are trying to facilitate the release of war criminals held by this republic. I can appreciate this. But this incident, your capture is... embarrassing. We must have explanation. First of all, I wish you to radio your headquarters and say that you have been captured and condemned for espionage activities, and that no such criminal aggression should be attempted in the future or they will meet with the same fate as yours.
- [Podovsky arrogantly turns on radio transmitter]
- Rambo: Fuck you.
- [Rambo after withstanding enough torture from Sgt. Yushin under Podovsky's orders complies to send out a radio transmission. But instead of the scripted commands, he calls for Murdock to respond]
- Rambo: Murdock.
- Trautman: He's here.
- [Trautman hands over the receiver to Murdock]
- Murdock: Rambo, this is Murdock, we're glad you're alive. Where the hell are you? Give us your position and we'll come to pick you up!
- Rambo: Murdock...I'm coming to get you! [Rambo grabs the communicator microphone and smacks Yushin as he fights off his captors with the help of Co (underneath the bunker) providing additional firepower in support and escapes]
- Murdock: Rambo, I didn't make the orders, I take them, just like you. [Rambo takes his knife out of his scabbard] I swear to God, I didn't know it was supposed to happen like this. It was just supposed to be another assignment!
- [grabs Murdock by the neck, pinning him to his own desk]
- Rambo: Mission... accomplished. [Rambo drives his combat knife into the desk right next to Murdock's head] You know there's more men out there, you know where they are. Find 'em, or I'll find you.
- [Col. Trautman sees Rambo leave the ops center and walking away]
- Col. Trautman: John, where are you going?
- Rambo: I don't know.
- Trautman: You'll get a second Medal of Honor for this.
- Rambo: [looks over at rescued POWs, one of whom salutes him] You should give it to them. They deserve it more.
- Trautman: You can't keep running John, you're free now. Go back with us.
- Rambo: Back to what? My friends died here. Part of me died here.
- Trautman: The war, everything that happened here may have been wrong, but dammit, don't hate your country for it!
- Rambo: [stops and looks at him] Hate it? I'd die for it!
- Trautman: Then what is it you want?
- Rambo: I want...what they want, and every other guy who came over here, and spilt his guts and gave everything he had.. wants... for our country to love us...as much as we love it. That's what I want.
- Trautman: How will you live, John?
- Rambo: Day by day. [leaves him]
- What most people call hell, he calls home.
- They sent him on a mission and set him up to fail, but they made one mistake. They forgot who they were dealing with: Rambo.
- No man, no law, no war can stop him.
- Sylvester Stallone - John Rambo
- Richard Crenna - Col. Samuel Trautman
- Charles Napier - Marshall Murdock
- Julia Nickson - Co-Bao