Raw Deal (1948 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Raw Deal is a 1948 film noir about a man who has taken the rap for another who then double-crosses him with a flawed escape plan and other means intended to get rid of him.
- Directed by Anthony Mann. Written by Leopold Atlas and John C. Higgins.
Bullets! Women! -- Can't Hold a Man Like This!
Joseph "Joe" Emmett Sullivan
- [about Ann] Keep your eve on Miss Law & Order here. She might go soprano on us.
- I want to breathe. That's why I want out of this place... so I can take a deep breath again.
- [as she watches Joe die in Ann's arms] The police picked me up and brought me here. There's my Joe, in her arms. A kind of... happiness on his face. In my heart I know that this is right for Joe. This is what he wanted.
- Joe: What do you know about anything? You probably had your bread buttered on both sides since the day you were born. Safe. Safe on first, second, third, and home.
- Ann: That's what you think! Just because I own a car and a tailored suit and my nails are clean, you think I've never had to fight? I got an education, sure. I suppose that means I was born with a silver spoon, doesn't it? My father was a schoolteacher. He died in the war of The Depression. Only he didn't get any medals. Or any bands. Or any bonus. He left three children. You think you had to fight? The only way you know how to fight is that stupid way with a gun. Well, there's another way you probably never even heard of. It's the daily fight that everyone has. To get food and an education, to land a job and keep it. And some self-respect. 'Safe'? I never asked for anything safe. All I want is... just a little decency, that's all!
- Joe: [ being visited in prison by Ann] Next time you come up, don't wear that perfume.
- Ann: Why not?
- Joe: It doesn't help a guy's good behavior.
- Joe: You're wonderful, baby. I don't know what I'd do without you.
- Pat: Remember to tell me later. With gestures.
- Pat: [as Joe is about go collect money from Rick] Be careful - and come back soon.
- Joe: Ah, you bet. You bet I will. As they say, life begins with 50 G's.
- Fantail: [trying to build a house of cards] Hey, Grimmy, watch this... [the house of cards collapses] I can never get it more than two stories high.
- Grimshaw: Why don't you just build bungalows?
- Fantail: [glares at him] Why don't you just take that hole in your head and close it?
- Ann: [as Joe lies on the ground, mortally injured] Joe, darling...
- Joe: Hey, hey... none of that. Don't cry. I got my breath of fresh air.
- Dennis O'Keefe - Joseph Emmett (Joe) Sullivan
- Claire Trevor - Pat Cameron
- Marsha Hunt - Ann Martin
- John Ireland - Fantail
- Raymond Burr - Rick Coyle
- Curt Conway - Spider
- Chili Williams - Marcy
- Regis Toomey - Police Capt. Fields
- Whit Bissell - Murderer
- Cliff Clark - Gates
- Raw Deal quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Raw Deal at Allmovie