A red carpet is traditionally used to mark the route taken by heads of state on ceremonial and formal occasions, and has in recent decades been extended to use by VIPs and celebrities at formal events. The world's longest red carpet measures 6,358.6 m (20,861.55 ft; 3.95 mi) and was exposed and used in the streets of the city of Almería, Spain. Such a feat served the city of southern Spain to get into The Guinness Book of Records.
- There are two words I hate and despise and don’t want to hear: red carpet and iconic.
- Caroline, Princess of Hanover, as quoted in "An Interview with Her Royal Highness Caroline, Princess of Hanover", AnotherMag
- The man who invented the red carpet needed his head examined.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, as quoted in The Reality of Monarchy (1970), by Andrew Duncan
- Encyclopedic article on Red carpet at Wikipedia