Responsibility is the state of being "responsible", or answerable for an act performed or for its consequences, especially morally, legally, or politically.
- 'Am I responsible or are you', a senior official asked his pilot, dubiously beginning a flight to Baghdad, 'for seeing that this machine is not overloaded?' 'That will have to be decided at the inquest.'
- James (Jan) Morris, Farewell the Trumpets: An Imperial Retreat (1978), p. 357.
- I'm depraved on account of I'm deprived.
- Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
- With great power there must also come — great responsibility!
- Amazing Fantasy #15, August 1962 (the first Spider-Man story)
- Variant: "With great power comes great responsibility."
- Possibly used in Isaac Asimov's novella "The Bicentennial Man" (1976)
- "Uncle" Ben Parker, in Spider-Man (2002)
- The saying, however, long pre-dates these sources, appearing in print in a number of variants since at least 1817 (Thomas C. Hansard, ed (1817). Parliamentary Debates. p. 1227. Retrieved on October 10, 2013. "He should, however, beg leave to remind the conductors of the press of their duty to apply to themselves a maxim which they never neglected to urge on the consideration of government —"that the possession of great power necessarily implies great responsibility." ).
- In dreams begin responsibilities.
- Remember, you have been given absolute power to bind and to loose, but the greater the power, the more terrible its responsibility.
- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
- Life, man is given as something worthy of sacrifice in the way of His love; free will, as exemplary of justice, is the mechanism by which one's choice in that sacrifice must be made.
- We create the world in which we live; if that world becomes unfit for human life, it is because we tire of our responsibility.
- There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
- One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license.
- Once you have glimpsed the world as it might be, it is impossible to live anymore complacent in the world as it is.
- Responsibility does not only lie with the leaders of our countries or with those who have been appointed or elected to do a particular job. It lies with each of us individually. Peace, for example, starts within each one of us. When we have inner peace, we can be at peace with those around us.
- If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders.
- Abigal Van Buren
- Work on yourself first, take responsibility for your own progress.
- I Ching
- Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star.
- Ambrose Bierce
- The willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life is the source from which self-respect springs.
- Joan Didion
- The great thought, the great concern, the great anxiety of men is to restrict, as much as possible, the limits of their own responsibility.
- Giosué Borsi