Hywel Rhodri Morgan (born September 29, 1939) is a Welsh politician and was the second First Minister of Wales. After heading the European Community's office in Wales, he was elected as Labour MP for Cardiff West in 1987. In 1999 he was elected to the National Assembly for Wales, and became First Secretary in February 2000 after the sudden resignation of Alun Michael. He remained head of a minority administration after the 2007 election.
- To say it is a dog's breakfast is an insult to the pet food industry.
- James Landale, "Collected sayings of Morgan the mouth'", The Times, November 10, 1998, p. 8.
- Comment on architectural plans for the National Assembly for Wales building.
- Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?
- "This is the week that...", The Times, 5 December 1998, p. 8.
- Reply to Jeremy Paxman on BBC Newsnight when asked whether he still wanted to lead the Labour Party in the National Assembly for Wales.
- Morgan was awarded the "Foot in Mouth" award by the Plain English Campaign on 11 December 1998 for this quote.
- Therefore, the only thing that is not up for grabs is no change. It is fair to say that it is all to play for, except in ruling out no change.
- Record of Proceedings, National Assembly for Wales, 15 November 2005.
- Morgan won the "Foot in Mouth" award for a second time for this statement, which refers to changes in policing arrangements in Wales.
- I think that Elin Jones made the point that that £450 million could have gone on health or anything else, but obviously the issue is that if you had another £450 million from somewhere else, you have got another £450 million, but what does that tell you? That is like saying, if my aunty was a bloke, she would be my uncle.
- Record of Proceedings, National Assembly for Wales, 14 March 2006.
- This statement was nominated for, but failed to win, the "Foot in Mouth" award in 2006.
- I also say to all of you listening in the Chamber and outside that I feel very proud to be slipping the captain’s armband onto my shirt sleeve again today. That is why, in all humility, I ask for your assistance as we seek to do our duty here. I say to this Assembly and to the people that I am not the boss – they, the people, are the boss.
- Record of Proceedings, National Assembly for Wales, 25 May 2007.
- Speech after his re-election as First Minister in May 2007.
- First Minister official site, Welsh Assembly Government.