Jump to navigation Jump to search
Richard Allan Bartle (born 10 January 1960) is an English writer and game researcher, best known for being the co-author of MUD, the first multi-user dungeon. He is one of the pioneers of the massively multiplayer online game industry.
- When it comes to computer games, many academics seem to be one step down from judges in their lack of engagement with the real world.
- From Richard Bartle's blog, dated 18th May 2007
- I'd take over World of Warcraft and I'd close it. I just want better virtual worlds. Sacrificing one of the best so its players have to seek out alternatives would be a sure-fire way to ensure that unknown gems got the chance they deserved, and that new games were developed to push back the boundaries. Er, I would get to do this anonymously, wouldn't I?
- If anyone samples this for a hardcore techno dance track I shall expect a royalty.
- From Richard Bartle's website.