Caricature of Richard Garnett
Richard Garnett (February 27, 1835 – April 13, 1906) was a scholar, librarian, biographer and poet.
- The three eldest children of Necessity: God, the World and love.
- Love is God’s essence; Power but his attribute: therefore is his love greater than his power.
- Thou canst not pray to God without praying to Love, but mayest pray to Love without praying to God.
- De Flagello myrteo. xiii.
- When Silence speaks for Love she has much to say.
- De Flagello myrteo. lxxiii.
- Sweet are the words of Love, sweeter his thoughts:
Sweetest of all what Love nor says nor thinks.
- De Flagello myrteo. clxv.
- Were Love exempt from the militations of Necessity, he were greater than God and the World.
- De Flagello myrteo. ccxxv.