A favor well bestowed is almost as great an honor to him who confers it as to him who receives it.
Sir Richard Steele (bap. March 12, 1672 – September 1, 1729) was an Irish writer and politician, remembered, along with his friend, Joseph Addison, as co-founder of The Spectator magazine.
- Though her mien carries much more invitation than command, to behold her is an immediate check to loose behavior; to love her is a liberal education.
- Tatler (1709-1711), no. 49. On Lady Elizabeth Hastings.
- Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
- Tatler (1709-1711), no. 147.
Letters to His Wife (1707-1712)
- I am come to a tavern alone to eat a steak, after which I shall return to the office.
- I was going home two hours ago, but was met by Mr. Griffith, who has kept me ever since. I will come within a pint of wine.
- Eleven at night, January 5, 1708.
- A little in drink, but at all times yr faithful husband.
- The finest woman in nature should not detain me an hour from you; but you must sometimes suffer the rivalship of the wisest men.
The Spectator (1711-1714)
- When you fall into a man's conversation, the first thing you should consider is, whether he has a greater inclination to hear you, or that you should hear him.
- Of all the affections which attend human life, the love of glory is the most ardent.
- No. 139 (August 9, 1711).
- Age in a virtuous person, of either sex, carries in it an authority which makes it preferable to all the pleasures of youth.
- No. 153 (August 25, 1711).
- Among all the diseases of the mind there is not one more epidemical or more pernicious than the love of flattery.
- No. 238 (December 3, 1711).
- Will Honeycomb calls these over-offended ladies the outrageously virtuous.
- No. 266 (January 4, 1712).
- A favor well bestowed is almost as great an honor to him who confers it as to him who receives it.
- No. 497 (September 30, 1712).
- No man was ever so completely skilled in the conduct of life, as not to receive new information from age and experience…
- No. 544 (November 24, 1712).