Doctorate Award Speech, Kean University (2004)
"Richie Sambora, Kean University Commencement Ceremonies Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters,", PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ (2004-05-06); quoted on Jovirunaway's Bon Jovi Shrine
- Embrace every challenge you have, every person you meet, every place you visit, every task you succeed at, and especially those at which you fail. You will learn from them all. You'll learn about the world at large and about other people but most important, you'll learn about yourself.
- Dare to fail. If you never fail, you're never taken risks and that's no way to take on this life.
- Seize every opportunity you have to learn. Keep your eyes and ears wide open and seize life — don't let the moments slip through your fingers like a fistful of sand. Be your own teacher. Let life write your textbook.
- For me, success is being able to give back to your friends, your family, your community, those in need and the world entire.
- There is absolutely no substitute for hard work.
- Somehow, you need to cling to your optimism. Always look for the silver lining. Always look for the best in people. Try to see things through the eyes of a child. See the wonder in the simplest things. Never stop dreaming. Believe anything is possible.
- Let me assure you, nothing in this life feels better than having the confidence that you can take care of yourself and your family and know that you can continue to grow and excel in your profession and as a person.
- Don't look over your shoulder and don't use or abuse others to get ahead. Keep your eyes focused on your goals and keep working for what you believe in and what you want to accomplish.