Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (last lines of the film) No questions. No answers. That's the business we're in. You accept it and move on. Maybe that's lesson number three...
- Everyone is your Brother, until the rent is due.
- All good things come to those who wait.
- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape.
- Spence: You ever kill anybody?
- Sam: Hurt somebody's feelings once.
- Sam: Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That's the first thing they teach you.
- Vincent: Who taught you?
- Sam: I don't remember. That's the second thing they teach you.
- Deirdre: What exactly were you doing back here?
- Sam: Lady, I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of.
- Deirdre: Then why are you getting into that van?
- Sam: You know the reason.
- Vincent: [as Sam is preparing to perform surgery on himself] Sure you can do this?
- Sam: Yeah, I once removed a guy's appendix with a grapefruit spoon.
- Jean-Pierre: The forty seven Ronin. Do you know it?
- Jean-Pierre: Forty seven samurai, whose master was betrayed and killed by another lord. They became ronin, masterless samurai, disgraced by another man's treachery. For three years they plotted, pretending to be thieves, mercenaries, even madmen. That I didn't have time to do, and then one night they struck, slipping into the castle of their lord's betrayer and killing him.
- Sam: Nice. I like that. My kind of job.
- Jean-Pierre: There's something more. All forty seven of them committed seppuku, ritual suicide, in the courtyard of the castle.
- Sam: Well, that I don't like so much.
- Spence: [drawing a diagram on the white board - two circles with arrows pointing at each other] We got shooters here... shooters here. I'll tell you an old trick...
- Sam: Hey. [Sam puts his cup of coffee down on a table, walks over to the white board and rubs out Spence's diagram]
- Spence: What's your problem?
- Sam: Draw it again. Draw it again. You're the ace field man, draw it again. It's a simple diagram, just draw it again, draw what you saw. [Spence just stands there. Sam is getting impatient] Draw it again! Draw it again.
- [Spence still does nothing so Sam takes the marker pen off him and redraws his diagram]
- Sam: Two shooters, car comes through here, shooters across from each other, kill each other dead. Oh my, where'd you learn that? Huh?
- Spence: In the regiment.
- Sam: What regiment was that?
- Spence: The 22nd Special Air Service.
- Sam: What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford? What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?
- Spence: I don't like your attitude.
- Sam: What's the color of the boathouse?
- Spence: Oh, fuck off!
- Sam: [moves closer to Spence, who backs away] You got the gun, I'm unarmed. Do something. Go ahead, do something. Do something. Do something. [as he backs away, Spence bumps into the table with Sam's coffee cup on it, spilling hot coffee onto his leg. Sam grabs his neck and face and bends him backwards over a railing, completely overpowering him. He takes Spence's gun off of him, then releases him]
- Sam: Tell me about an ambush?! Tell me about an ambush?! I ambushed you with a cup of coffee!
- Robert De Niro as Sam
- Jean Reno as Vincent
- Natascha McElhone as Deirdre
- Stellan Skarsgård as Gregor
- Sean Bean as Spence
- Skipp Sudduth as Larry
- Michael Lonsdale as Jean-Pierre