Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat is an animated television series based on the children's book of the same name by Amy Tan which aired on PBS Kids, produced by Canada-based animation studio CinéGroupe and Sesame Workshop.
How Sagwa Got Her Colors [1.01]
The New Year's Clean-Up / Firefly Nights [1.02]
Royal Cats / Acrobat Cats [1.03]
Tung, the Singing Cricket / Sagwa's Lucky Bat [1.04]
Cat Burglar / Sagwa's Good Deed [1.05]
- [Sagwa was late for dinner --even though she had promised to be on time. Mama Miao and Baba Miao are angry and disappointed because Sagwa broke her promise.]
- Mama Miao: So, there you are!
- Sagwa: Where are the others?
- Mama Miao: Well, (Dongwa and Sheegwa) they were on time for dinner! So they had finished eating!
- [Mama confronts Sagwa about being late for dinner. She chews Sagwa out for that.]
- Mama Miao: As I recall, you promised to be on time for dinner! But since you broke your promise, you eat what is left! Plain rice!
- Sagwa: [flustered] PLAIN RICE!? THAT IS IT!?
- Mama Miao: Well, if you were on time, you could have had steamed fish and bok choy! Now eat your dinner!
Harvest Festival Race / The Foolish Magistrate's New Robes [1.06]
- [Dongwa is not pleased that he gave up his snack for their grandparents' anniversary special]
- Sagwa: What a disaster...
- Dongwa: Yeah, all that wasted shrimp.
Fur Cut / Magistrate Loses His Post [1.07]
- Baba: Oh, no need dear. I've-I've already attended to my grooming. [pan on Baba's messy back, with Sheegwa laughing]
- Dongwa: What? Rain spirit dragons don't spit fire.
- Sagwa: Well- well this one did!
Tribal Cats / Sagwa's Swan Song [1.08]
Cat and Mouse / Stinky Tofu [1.09]
The Foolish Magistrate's Aching Tooth / Sheegwa and the Blizzard [1.10]
- Fu-Fu: Me?! You go after him!
- Dongwa: Oh no, you go. I'll wait here so I can pounce on him when he comes out. [headbutts Fu-Fu towards the room and laughing slyly] Works every time.
By the Light of the Moon / Treasure Hunters [1.11]
Fraidy Cats / The Tortoise and the Cat [1.12]
Alley Night Opera / Cats of a Different Class [1.13]
Sagwa, Fu-Fu and the Whistling Pigeon / Princess Sheegwa [1.14]
Sagwa Rules / Ciao, Meow! [1.15]
- Sheegwa: [to Jet-Jet] HUNTING!? But...! [begins talking gibberish]
- [Dongwa sneaks behind Sheegwa. Then he --as if also picking on Sheegwa-- puts his paw over his sister's nose and mouth/lips to get her to be quiet.]
- Jet-Jet: SHOULDN'T YOU ALL BE BACK IN THE PALACE...?! ...AND RAIDING CHERRY BLOSSOMS IN YOUR HAIR!?
- [The scene now shows that all the kittens --Dongwa, Sagwa, and Sheegwa-- are all soaked. Sheegwa had disobeyed the rules and was on the palace wall. She fell into the pond and was rescued by Dongwa and Sagwa. But Dongwa and Sagwa --trying to save her-- also ended up in the pond.]
- Sagwa: [to Sheegwa] SHEEGWA!? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!? YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE PALACE WALLS!
- Sheegwa: I am sorry. [sneezes] Ah-choo!
- Sagwa: [to Dongwa about Sheegwa having a cold] We have to get her inside. She is catching a cold.
- [Meanwhile, back in the palace.]
- Sheegwa: [sneezes a big sneeze] AH-AH-AH-CHOO!
- Sagwa: Shhh! Sheegwa? Mama cannot see us like this.
- [Mama Miao sees the kittens --Dongwa, Sagwa, and Sheegwa-- all wet and all three of them have colds.]
- Mama Miao: [she sees the kittens having colds and becomes concerned about this] Oh my poor dears! What happened?
- Sheegwa: It is all my fault I should not have climbed on the alley wa...wa...! [sneezes an even bigger sneeze] AH-AH-AH-CHOO! ...walls.
- Mama Miao: [to the kittens] Come. Let's get you all dried up and to bed.
- [It then becomes revealed that the kittens --for a while-- are not going outside. Because they have colds. Sheegwa was disobeying the rules --being on the alley walls. But so was Dongwa and Sagwa when they tried to rescue her and also ended up in the pond.]
Explorer's Club / Time for Everything [1.16]
- Baba: [to Dongwa] YOU ARE LETTING YOUR SISTER DO YOUR WORK!?
- Dongwa: I ya...! I err...!
- Baba: [turning to Sagwa] AND YOU! HELPING YOUR BROTHER TO DECEIVE ME!
- [Then to both Dongwa and Sagwa.]
- Baba: THAT IS NOT LIKE YOU! WHAT DO YOU TWO HAVE TO SAY TO YOURSELVES!?
- [Baba chews both Dongwa and Sagwa out and asks them what they both say for themselves. Dongwa and Sagwa are shocked into silence. And they do not have an answer at the moment. Baba is not pleased.]
- Baba: WELL, UNLESS YOU CAN COME UP WITH AN EXPLANATION ABOUT THIS, YOU ARE BOTH CONFINED TO YOUR QUARTERS (FOR A WEEK)!
- [Dongwa --for making his sister do his work-- and Sagwa --for helping her brother to deceive Baba Miao-- are both confined to their quarters for a week, a month, a year, or possibly a decade, a century, or even a millennium.]
- Dongwa: But Baba...! Tomorrow is the...!
- Baba: AND THAT IS FINAL!
- [In total, Dongwa is confined to his quarters for a millennium --1,000 years. When Baba said, "And that is final!", he means that if Dongwa argues any more, he is going to take away the "going out" privileges for two or three millenniums --2,000 or 3,000 years.]
Comic Opera / Not-So-Purrfect Patient [1.17]
Panda-monium / Festival of Lanterns [1.18]
Snagged by a Thread / Master of Mistakes [1.19]
- NOTE: On KCTS 9, "Master of Mistakes" was the first segment and "Snagged by a Thread" was the second. But in reality, "Snagged by a Thread" was the first segment and "Master of Mistakes" the second. They never fixed it.
Collar of Time / The Birds, the Bees, and the Silkworms [1.20]
Dongwa the Sailor / Invention by Mistake [1.21]
Cool Fu-Fu / A New Cook in the Kitchen [1.22]
Tough Guy Dongwa / The Competition [1.23]
Precious Gift / Lord of the Fleas [1.24]
My Fair Kitty / The Favorite [1.25]
Luck be a Bat / Tea for Two Monkeys [1.26]
- Sagwa: Can't you fit through the bars?
- Fu-Fu: [opens robe, reveals Balloon Belly] Nah, too many dumplings.
Sagwa the Stray / And Action [1.27]
Ba-Do and the Lantern Festival / Fu-Fu's Full Moon Flight [1.28]
Wedding Day Mess / A Catfish Tale [1.29]
Up, Up and Away / Spreading Rumors [1.30]
The Jade Rabbit / Dongwa's Best Friend [1.31]
The Zodiac Zoo / The Four Dragons [1.32]
Lost and Found / Three Graces [1.33]
All Grown Up/The Cat and the Wind [1.34]
- Baba: [takes a piece of grass] It's a duck call. [quacks]
- Dongwa: Oh, sure Baba. Like a duck is ever gonna think that's real.
- [A real duck shows up, with Dongwa getting startled and hangs onto Sagwa]
Sister Act / Too Close for Comfort [1.35]
Sick Day / The Name Game [1.36]
- Dongwa: Come on! Help me out. There must be something we all have to do.
- [Dongwa faints out trying to think of other ideas about how to keep his sister Sheegwa busy. Sheegwa jumps on to Dongwa and lands on his belly --and gets in his face laughing. Dongwa laughs because it tickles.]
- Sheegwa: [thinks] Hmmm? [gets into Dongwa's face] A story.
- Dongwa: Oh no.
- [Sheegwa laughs and jumps up and down on Dongwa's belly like a trampoline, then gets in his face.]
- Sheegwa: A story, a story!
- [Sheegwa moves in on closer to Dongwa's face --despite the fact that she has a cold.]
- Sheegwa: That is what Mama always does when I am...! [sneezes] AH-CHOO ...sick. Please?
Shei-Hu's Secret / Homesick Jun [1.37]
The Return of the Rat/Great Balls of Fire [1.38]
- Sheegwa: Find them all? But there is a rabbit, and a pig, and an ox, and a dog...! That's a lot!
- Nai-Nai: That is the fun part.
- [As a 2 vs 2 game --for the zodiac game-- Nai-Nai assigns the teams before the game. Also, Nai-Nai is the announcer of the said game.]
- Nai-Nai: [to Sagwa and Fu-Fu] Sagwa and Fu-Fu? You two are one team. [then turns to Dongwa and Sheegwa] And Dongwa? You and Sheegwa --the other two of you are the other one.
- [So in pairs, Sagwa is working with Fu-Fu. And Dongwa, he is paired with Sheegwa. In other words, "It is Sagwa and Fu-Fu vs. Dongwa and Sheegwa".]
- Dongwa: Oh great!
- [Sheegwa --in response-- sticks out her tongue at Dongwa --as if to taunt him that she is his partner.]
- Nai-Nai: Now, here is a hint. You find the wooden animals like how real animals in nature would be. Well, at least some of them. [chuckles]
- [The Rat tries to take a bite out of the clay "cookie" --thinking it was a real almond cookie.]
- Sheegwa: [in a teasing smile] (Mr. Rat!?) I've tried to tell you! (Okay?!) It's not a real cookie! Ba-Do made it out of clay!
- Rat: CLAY?! Is that one of the food groups?!
- [Sagwa pawns off the game looking for Sheegwa. She finds Sheegwa and catches the Rat.]
- Sagwa: [from offscreen] YOU...?!
- [The rat turns and sees Sagwa behind him.]
- Rat: Oh, hello there. Great to see you again. It has been so long.
- [Sagwa glares at him. The Rat shakes her paw.]
- Rat: [laughs]. Well, so long.
- [He tries to run away, but Sagwa steps on his tail with her paw.]
- Sagwa: I KNOW YOUR TRICKS, RAT! YOU STOLE THIS COOKIE!
Catsitter/On the Run [1.39]
Cha-Siu Bow Wow / Mutt That Would Be King [1.40]
- Sagwa Miao (voiced by Holly Gauthier-Frankel)
- Sheegwa Miao (voiced by Jesse Vinet)
- Dongwa Miao (voiced by Oliver Grainger)
- Baba Miao (voiced by Arthur Holden)
- Mama Miao (voiced by Ellen David)
- The Foolish Magistrate (voiced by Hiro Kanagawa)
- Tai-Tai (voiced by Khaira Ledeyo)
- Ba-Do (voiced by Kathy Tsoi)
- Luk-Do (voiced by Leanne Adachi)
- Huang-Do (voiced by Rosa YeeRosa Yee)
- The Cook (voiced by Raugi YuRaugi Yu)
- The Reader (voiced by Russell Yuen)
- Fu-Fu (voiced by Rick Jones)