Sahara is a 2005 film directed by Breck Eisner and based on the best-selling book of the same name by Clive Cussler. The film follows Master explorer and former US Navy Seal Dirk Pitt and his wisecracking buddy Al Giordino goes on the adventure of a lifetime of seeking out a lost Civil War ironclad battleship known as the "Ship of Death" that protects a secret cargo is lost somewhere in the deserts of West Africa.
- (to Eva as Al, Dirk and Eva are being pursued in Kazim's car) I hope you don't throw like a girl!
- Hi! How are ya?
- I am so tired of being shot at!
- (in the stolen car, being chased by a chopper) It's Kazim! Hey, maybe he wants his car back?
- (seeing the Confederate gold) Jefferson Davis had how many samples made?
- (about Batine's sarcophagus) Hey Dirk, get your butt up here, so we could scrape some of the crap off this thing.
- (about his tie) Hey, I cant remember how this works... something about a fox and a rabbit... its really bugging me.
- (laughing, to Dirk) I was thinking about the funny part. Here we are, oceanographers and we're gonna probably die in the desert, chained-chained to truck parts... So when they write our obituaries... that'll be the funny part.
- (as Kazim's troops lay down their weapons in surrender) Looks like you killed the snake.
Admiral James Sandecker
- Don't you hurt my boat.
- (about artifacts from the ocean and Dirk) Rudi, I've been waiting two months for this moment. Don't mess it up for me by letting him drown.
General Zateb Kazim
He's the black badass general that chases them throughout the movie
- Al: What do you think, Dirk?
- Dirk: Uh, I think we need to pull a Panama.
- Al: A Panama? A PANAMA?!
- Sandecker: Panama?
- Rudi: What's a Panama?
- Al: Navy thing.
- Rudi: I didn't know you were in Panama.
- Al: We wern't, we were in Nicaragua.
- Rudi: So, why do you call it a Panama?
- Al: We thought we were in Panama!
- Sandecker:(On the phone) NO PANAMA!
- Dirk and Al are eating in a restaurant.
- Dirk: (has an idea and leaves) I'll meet you at the boat.
- Al: (after Dirk has gone) No! I got the check. Don't worry about it. I'm serious. I know, i get it all the time. Sit down, I'll get the check!
- Al: Next time you go!
- Dirk: What the hell took you so long?
- AL: What? I stopped for coffee.
- Dirk: Did you get a receipt?
- Al: Yeah, I got a receipt, and you know what? I got you one too!
- Dirk: You're the best Al!
- Al: You know what? I'll even get you the money from Sandecker.
- Dirk: All right Rudi, you gonna run sonar of the river.
- Rudi: But,I was hoping to meet a girl on the australian trip.
- Al: No. African war zone, ship of death!
- Rudi: Got a profile!
- Al: Another truck bumper? Bicycle? VCR?
- Dirk: What would you do if you were about to be exposed as the biggest polluter in history?
- Al: I don't know. Run for president?
- Dirk: Al, did you get the explosives from Massardes?
- Al: Couldn't find them.
- Dirk: Al...
- Al: Didn't have time.
- Dirk: AL!
- Al: Of course I brought the explosives!
- Dirk: I'm sorry I don't speak English.
- Gunboat Officer: You are speaking English right now.
- Dirk: No, I only know how to say, "I don't speak English" in English.
- Dirk: Hey Al, Do remember that time when we were in Morocco?
- Al: Ya, when you made me ride that damn camel, that bit my ass.
- Dirk: Yeah, that's the time.
- Al: Why?
- Al: Hey, you know how it is when you see someone that you haven't seen since high school, and they got some dead-end job, and they're married to some woman that hates them, they got three kids who, like, think he's a joke? Wasn't there some point where you stood back and said, "Bob, don't take that job! Bob, don't marry that harpy!" You know?
- Dirk: Your point?
- Al: Well, we're in the desert, looking for the source of a river pollutant, using as our map a cave drawing of a Civil War gunship, which is also in the desert. So I was just wondering when we're gonna have to sit down and re-evaluate our decision-making paradigm?
- Dirk: (seeing the old fort from the cave painting) I don't know. It seems to be working so far.
- Frank: Are you all right?
- Eva: Mali, just like the others.
- Frank: Yeah, I know.
- Eva: This is an outbreak, Frank.
- Frank: We have six cases. That's not enough.
- Eva: Oh, how many do we need? Sixty? Six thousand? Where does it start tomorrow? We have to find the cure Frank.
- Frank: You want to go to Mali.It's not gonna happen. W-H-O isn't gonna lose anymore staff to a civil war. (handing her a clipboard) Here, finish your report.
- Eva: (sarcastically, walking away) Good. Just in time for the autopsy.
- Dirk: Admiral, have you ever seen a confederate gold dollar?
- Sandecker: (annoyed) Oh dear God, don't start this again.
- Dirk: Of course not, because the Confederacy never made a gold dollar. The mint was destroyed at the end of the war.
- Sandecker: I beg you on my hands and knees, don't.
- Dirk: But not before Jefferson Davis had five samples made. He gave four of those samples to his top generals: Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Jeb Stuart and Johnston.
- Sandecker: Every time we come to Africa outcomes that stupid ship model, outcomed the old port generals. We're leaving for Australia tomorrow.
- Dirk: Four of those samples have been found. But the fifth never was. That one was given to an old family friend of Davis, a brilliant young sea captain named Mason Tombs. Captain of the CSS ironclad Texas. (producing the coin and handing it to Sandecker)
- Eva: And you found that coin?
- Dirk: Not just a coin. I found the coin. Now I also had a letter from the captain's widow alluding to her husband's urgent eastern voyage. Had a sailor's log on a Atlantic clipper, who swore on the stack of Bibles, he saw a great iron beast standing two miles off the African coast.
- Al: Hey, you know my dad collected ancient coins, from Rome, China, Siam, Persia... somehow they all ended up in a shoe box in New Jersey.
- Dirk: Meaning?
- Al: Coins travel, Dirk. I mean, even if that poor guy was still alive, it could have been nothing.
- Dirk: Yeah, but the coin traveled from somewhere Al. Unless it hitched a ride on the back of a dolphin, I'm gonna guess it's jumping off point was a little closer to where we're sitting.
- Al: Really? You can see that ironclad steaming up the river? I mean really? Isn't it more likely that we missed it somewhere up the coast off Virginia?
- Yves: This facility is a miracle of modern science. State of the art technology. Solar energy harness to destroy the world's contaminants. Not such a bad idea after all.
- Eva: It's a toxic waste dump.
- Yves: Not so simple. You see all new technology has enemies. Sandstorms for example, they chip away at the mirrors. Productivity falls and the waste needs to be stored underground. So we have developed a new laminate coating to protect the mirrors and with this new approach our problems should now be in the past.
- Eva: You're poisoning a river system underground. It's spreading across western Africa.
- Yves: You're wrong. That's impossible.
- Dirk: (untying her bonds) Eva. How many times am I gonna have to save your ass?
- Eva: Well, in case you didn't notice, I actually saved yours.
- Yves: (to Dirk, while holding a gun to Eva's head) I apologize, Mr. Pitt. This is not what it appears.
- Dirk: (dropping his gun) Did I miss something? I've seen your toxic dump. I've seen sick Tuareg women and children and I saw the dead in Asselar. Did I leave something out?
On the Ship (Dirk and Al) Dirk: on the phone. Al: Hey buddy,um how did you tell me to do this? Somethin about a fox and a rabbit? Dirk: -sigh- Here, you chase the rabbit AROUND the tree and DOWN the hole.
- (after sliding down the hill on the truck-bed and finding the skeleton)
- Dirk: (seeing the name tag on the jacket) K. Mannock... no way!
- Al: Why no way ?
- Dirk: Kitty Mannock. She flew from London to Cape Town in 1931. They never found her or her plane. This must be where she crashed.
- Al: (pointing off) Nope. That's where she crashed.