Sally Margaret Field Mahoney (born November 6, 1946) is an American actress who is a two-time Academy Award, a two-time Golden Globe winner and a three-time Emmy Award winner, who became a household name at the age of 16, as the titular character in Gidget (1965-66), and later as Sister Bertrille in the sitcom, The Flying Nun (1967-70).
- I haven't had an orthodox career, and I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it, and I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!
- Said during Field's Oscar acceptance speech for Best Actress in 1984's Places in the Heart
- Often misquoted as "You like me, you really like me!"
- The misquote was echoed by Sean Penn in his 1996 acceptance of the Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead in Dead Man Walking as, "You tolerate me. You really tolerate me!"
- Waxman, Sharon (1999-03-21). "The Oscar Acceptance Speech: By and Large, It's a Lost Art". Washington Post. Retrieved on 2006-12-31.