Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sanjuro is a 1962 film about a crafty samurai who helps a young man and his fellow clansmen save his uncle, who has been framed and imprisoned by a corrupt superintendent. It is a sequel to Kurosawa's 1961 film Yojimbo.
- Directed by Akira Kurosawa. Written by Ryūzō Kikushima, Hideo Oguni, and Akira Kurosawa.
A fast sword, keen perception used well to SLAUGHTER HIS ENEMIES. taglines
- He was exactly like me. A naked sword. He didn't stay in his sheath.
- Stupid friends are dangerous.
- If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
- We can't move like this! We look like a centipede!
- You tired of being stupid yet?
- Mutsuta's wife: You're too sharp. That's your trouble. You're like a drawn sword. Sharp, naked without a sheath. You cut well. But good swords are kept in their sheaths.
- Mutsuta's wife: Killing people is a bad habit.
- Mutsuta, the Chamberlain: Once as I rode by, someone said "the rider has a longer face than the horse."
- Iori Izaka: [recounting his story about his falling out with his ugly-yet-noble uncle] I met the Superintendent.
- Samurai: What did he say?
- Iori Izaka: He was cooperative. At first he looked embarrassed, but the story of my uncle shocked him. He pondered. "All right", he said, "I'll help you. I'll talk with your group. Gather them quickly. That's what he said."
- Samurai: He's great!
- Samurai: Right!
- Samurai: A powerful support for us. Not a good-natured scarecrow.
- [All laugh, then turn to face the sound of loud yawns coming from the darkness outside]
- Sanjûrô Tsubaki: Wait.
- [He leisurely walks in, looking disheveled. He yawns]
- Sanjûrô Tsubaki: An interesting story.
- Iori Izaka: Don't let him go!
- Sanjûrô Tsubaki: Fool! If I wanted to run, why would I speak?
- [He wanders further into the shrine, hitching his shoulder]
- Iori Izaka: Why are you here?
- Sanjûrô Tsubaki: Free room overnight. By the way, overhearing has a merit. [Rubs his chin] They say outsiders can be good judges. Listen. I say the Chamberlain is alright, but the Superintendent is no good.
- Samurai: Don't insult him!
- Sanjûrô Tsubaki: Take it easy. I haven't seen them. So I'm not cheated by their looks. The Chamberlain is ugly, isn't he? Right? But from your story I judge he's a great man. He doesn't mind being called a fool. Great! But the Superintendent... you mentioned his name with admiration. That means he looks attractive, right? But people aren't what they seem. [He sits down on one of the straw mats] Be careful.
- Iori Izaka: Let's follow them for now. Circumstances will decide whether we attack or not. [to Sanjuro, who had just been woken by the youths' loud entry] What do you say?
- Sanjûrô Tsubaki: [yawning] It's a stupid plan, but some excitement might keep me awake.
- Mutsuta's wife: [Indicating Sanjuro] Who's that person?
- Iori Izaka: It's hard to explain, but he's on our side.
- Sanjûrô Tsubaki: [before their final duel] Must we fight?
- Hanbei Muroto: Yes. You're treacherous. You made a fool of me.
- Sanjûrô Tsubaki: Don't get so mad. I couldn't help it.
- A fast sword, keen perception used well to SLAUGHTER HIS ENEMIES.
- Akira Kurosawa's Powerful and Newest Japanese Masterpiece
- Toshiro Mifune - Sanjûrô Tsubaki
- Tatsuya Nakadai - Hanbei Muroto
- Yūzō Kayama - Iori Izaka
- Reiko Dan - Chidori
- Takashi Shimura - Kurofuji
- Kamatari Fujiwara - Takebayashi
- Takako Irie - Mutsuta's wife
- Masao Shimizu - Kikui
- Yūnosuke Itō - Mutsuta, the Chamberlain
- Sanjuro quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Sanjuro at Allmovie