Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (film)
Santa Claus is Comin' to Town is a 1970 Christmas stop motion animated television special produced by Rankin/Bass Productions. The film tells the story of how Santa Claus and several Claus-related Christmas traditions came to be. It is based on the hit Christmas song of the same name, which was introduced on radio by Eddie Cantor in 1934, and the story of Saint Nicholas.
- Poor misguided folks. They missed the whole point. Lots of unhappiness? Maybe so. But doesn't Santa take a little bit of that unhappiness away? Doesn't a smile on Christmas morning scratch out a tear cried on a sadder day? Not much maybe. But what would happen if we all tried to be like Santa and learned to give as only he can give: of ourselves, our talents, our love and our hearts? Maybe we could all learn Santa's beautiful lesson and maybe there would finally be peace on Earth and good will toward men.
- [singing] It's a difficult responsibility
That you accept from the #1 lawmaker, me
Have it know throughout the land from sea to sea
There'll be no more toy makers to the king!
- Toys are hereby declared illegal, immoral, unlawful, and anyone found with a toy in his (or her) possession will be placed under arrest and thrown in the dungeon. (No kidding!)
- Burgermeister Meisterburger: Ah, a perfect day. Everybody is glum. Ah, and see all the little children are playing with their toys. [gasps] Playing with their toys?! Stop, in the name of the law! You brats are under arrest! Take them away.
- Kris: Don't arrest those children. It was my fault. I gave them the toys.
- Burgermeister: You? How dare you! You are obviously a nonconformist and a rebel!
- Kris: Me, rebel?
- Burgermeister: Arrest this man immediately!
- Kris: [pulls out a toy] For you.
- Burgermeister: [sputters] A yo-yo? I love yo-yos! I used to be able to do all kinds of tricks! Ooh wheeeeeeeeee! Hoo hoo hoo hoo! [plays with the yo-yo]
- Grimsley: Excuse me, sir, but you're breaking your own laws.
- Burgermeister: What, what do you think? [gasps and chokes] Ooohh, I have been bamboozled! Arrest him, arrest him!
- Kris: You better watch out, better not cry, better not pout.
- Children: Why?
- Kris: I'm telling you why!
- Children: Yeah?
- Kris: 'Cause... I came to town. [pours some elf-made toys on the ground to show the children] And look what I brought!
- Children: [overjoyed, cheering up] Toys! Real toys!
- Kris: Compliments of the Kringles!
- Kris: Look, uh, before you do me in, would you tell your tree friends to let me loose for a second? You see, I... I have something for you.
- Winter Warlock: What is this, a trick?!
- Kris: Oh-oh-oh, no sir, Mr. Warlock. Or may I, uh, call you Winter?
- Mr. Warlock: Mr. Warlock, if you please!
- Kris: Oh. Well, I managed to save one little toy and I'd like you to have it.
- Mr. Warlock: [calmly] You... you wish to give me a present? A... a toy?
- Kris: Yes, sir.
- Mr. Warlock: But nobody ever gives mean old Warlock a toy.
- Kris: I'd like to start a new custom. If you'd just call off...
- Mr. Warlock: What, what? Oh, oh, yeah, uh. [chuckles] Yes, of course, but you mustn't mind the tree monsters. Their bark is worst than their bite. [chuckles] Their bark is worst than their bite! [laughs] Hey, uh, Willy Willow, Peter Pine! Release the Kringle! [the trees release Kris and Topper; Winter laughs] And no tricks now.
- Kris: Oh, no! No, sir, Mr. Warlock. [gives Winter a toy train]
- Mr. Warlock: A choo-choo. [kisses it] I've always wanted one. [cries and his cold heart melts, resulting in him becoming good]
- Kris: What's that?
- Mr. Winter Warlock: My icy heart. It's melting.
- Kris: Uh, look, Mr. Warlock.
- Winter Warlock: Please. Please call me Winter.
- Kris: Winter?
- Winter: Oh, yes! Yes! Suddenly, my whole outlook has changed from bad to good!
- Kris: Great!
- Winter: Ah, but will it last? I really am a mean and despicable creature at heart, you know. It's so difficult to really change.
- Kris: Difficult? [laughs] Why, why look here. Changing from bad to good's as easy as taking your first step.
- Fred Astaire – S.D. Kluger
- Mickey Rooney – Kris Kringle / Santa Claus
- Greg Thomas - Young Kris Kringle
- Keenan Wynn – Winter Warlock
- Robie Lester – Mrs. Jessica Claus
- Paul Frees – Burgermeister Meisterburger, Burgermeister's soldiers, Newsreel Announcer, Kringle Brothers, Grimsley, Sombertown townspeople, Scrooge-like man, CEO businessman, Topper, Horse, Doctor, Seal, Additional voices.
- Joan Gardner – Tanta Kringle, Sombertown townspeople, Business store clerk, additional voices
- Dina Lynn, Greg Thomas, Gary White, and Andrea Sacino as the children