Separatist movements of India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Secession in India typically refers to state secession, which is the withdrawal of one or more states from the Republic of India.
- [Soon after the Muslim League had passed its resolution demanding Pakistan in 1940, the Dravidian ideologue E.V. Ramasamy Nayakar (popularly known as EVR) passed a similar resolution demanding a sovereign state, to be called Dravidistan. In 1941, at the twenty-eight Annual session of the Muslim League, Jinnah and EVR shared the dais and Jinnah extended full support to splitting off something called Dravidistan:]
I have every sympathy and shall do all to help, and you establish Dravidistan, where the seven percent Muslim population will stretch its hand of friendship and live with you on lines of security, justice and fair play.
- Jinnah, in Johari, J.C. Voices of Indian Freedom Movement. New Delhi: AnmolPublications, 1993 quoted from Malhotra, R., Nīlakantan, A. (2011). Breaking India: Western interventions in Dravidian and Dalit faultlines
- [In India’s Nagaland state, there is an insurgency driven by the idea of a Maoist Christian nation-state. The Naga separatist guerillas declared in their manifesto:]
The sovereign existence of our country, the salvation of our people in socialism with their spiritual salvation in Christ, are unquestionable. . . . We stand for socialism. . . . We stand for faith in God and the salvation of mankind in Jesus, the Christ, alone, that is, ‘Nagaland for Christ’. . . . We rule out the illusion of saving Nagaland through peaceful means. It is arms and arms alone that will save our nation.
- Freston, Paul. Evangelicals and Politics in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Cambridge University Press, 2004 quoted from Malhotra, R., Nīlakantan, A. (2011). Breaking India: Western interventions in Dravidian and Dalit faultlines
- also in Separatism in North-East India: Role of Religion, Language ... Dr. Kunal Ghosh · 2008 also in Religious Violence Today: Faith and Conflict in the Modern ... Michael Jerryson · 2020 also in The Periphery Strikes Back: Challenges to the Nation-state ...Udayon Misra · 2000 ·