Serial Experiments Lain
Serial Experiments Lain (1998) is an anime series about an adolescent girl in suburban Japan named Lain Iwakura, and her introduction to the Wired, an international computer network.
Chisa Yomoda: I dont need to stay in a place like this.
- Lain: No matter where you go, everybody's connected.
- Mr. Iwakura: I think that my little girl has, perhaps, become obsessed with the WIRED. It's just an advanced medium for communication. Don't get it confused with the real world.
Source: In other words, the Knights do not physically exist, but are rather thought itself that occurs inside the Wired. They can be thought of as a religion that is spreading through the Wired and into your subconscious.
- Mrs. Iwakura: The body exists only to verify one's own existence.
- Deus: What is the definition of God? If you mean the creator of the world, it’s not me. If you mean an omnipotent ruler of the world, it’s not me.
If you want to avoid the pain, you should believe in God. Whether you believe in God or not, he is always with you.
- Myu-Myu: Yeah, it's dead. Hey, why don't we go over to my place? ...You don't need to come, Masayuki.
- Carl: ...but still, I know that I love you, Lain. Love certainly is a strange emotion, now isn't it, Lain.
- Dad: I wasn't really given permission to tell you goodbye. But then I had to. Because, you see, I loved you.
- Lain's Soliloquy: ...OK, let's see... I guess that I'm confused again. Am I here, or am I there? I don't know. Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that. But here is connected to over there. Is that right? But then, where is the real me after all is said and done. Oh! There is no real me. I guess that's it. I only exist inside those people aware of my existence. But what about this me that I can hear talking right here and now? It's me, isn't it?
(Static appears in transmission) This me that's talking. Who is it? Who's me? (Transmission is cut off)