Serial Experiments Lain
Serial Experiments Lain (1998) is an anime series about an adolescent girl in suburban Japan named Lain Iwakura, and her introduction to the Wired, an international computer network.
- Present day. Present time. Hahahaha!
- Beginning of intro sequence, spoken in English.
- If you can hear it, then it’s speaking to you. And if you can see it, then it’s yours to have.
- Voiceover in episode intro.
- No matter where you are... everyone is always connected.
- You don't care who you hurt, as long as you get a kick out of it... You're actually just a bunch of losers! [laughs]
- To the Knights
- There was no reason for me to stay in the real world any longer. In the real world, it didn't matter if I was there or not. When I realized that, I was no longer afraid of losing my body.
- Here there is a God.
- In an e-mail
- What does it feel like to die? It really hurts.:)
- There is nothing easy about dying.
- Mankind is a creature that no longer evolves, is it not? One theory says that man is a neoteny and is no longer able to evolve. If this is true, then what an absurd creature mankind has evolved into. Not knowing what it is that drives them they keep their bodies merely to satisfy the desires of the flesh. They're worthless, don't you think? That's all mankind is.
- Lain, all I've been telling you all the time is you're software. You're not hardware.
- Alice Mizuki: If you aren't remembered, then you never existed.
- Iwakura Mika: Beep, beep, beep, gah...
- Tachibana employee: Some people think that the Wired has no political boundaries like the real world. But with this freedom, there is a price to pay. I'm talking about nonsense-spouting anarchists and idiots who think a lot of pranks add up to a revolution. The Knights are different; they don't seem to be anarchists or idiots at all.
- Reika: A netpal isn't really a friend; in fact, it shouldn't even be considered an acquaintance.
- When humans are connected, small voices will become larger. When humans are connected, even life will get longer so...
- On the Collective Unconscious
- For every event there is a prophecy.
- What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record.
- On the Last Episode. Is written out in Japanese.