(Redirected from Shoe)
Quotes about shoes.
- I had no shoes, and I felt sorry for myself until I met a man who had no feet. I took his shoes. Now I feel better.
- George Carlin, When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? (2004)
- For want of a nail the shoe is lost, for want of a shoe the horse is lost, for want of a horse the rider is lost.
- Proverb reported by George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651), #495
- Who is worse shod, than the shoemaker's wife,
With shops full of shoes all her life?
- Proverb reported by John Heywood, Proverbs (1546), Pt. I, ch. 11
- Cf. the more recent(?) proverb: "The cobbler's children wear no shoes."
- I played in a new pair of shoes one day and they wore big blisters on my feet. The next day we came up short of players, a couple of men hurt and one missing. [...] I tried it with my old shoes on and just couldn't make it. He told me I'd have to play anyway, so I threw away the shoes and went to the outfield in my stockinged feet. [...] They picked it up and started calling me Shoeless Joe all around the league, and it stuck. I never played the outfield barefoot, and that was the only day I ever played in my stockinged feet, but it stuck with me.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson, This is the Truth! (1949)
- The shoe that fits one person pinches another.
- Carl Jung, Modern Man in Search of a Soul (1933)
- A Roman divorced from his wife, being highly blamed by his friends, who demanded, "Was she not chaste? Was she not fair? Was she not fruitful?" holding out his shoe, asked them whether it was not new and well made. "Yet," added he, "none of you can tell where it pinches me."
- Plutarch, Lives, "Aemilius Paulus", sec. 29
- You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
- Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go! (1990)
- The Stoical scheme of supplying our wants by lopping off our desires, is like cutting off our feet when we want shoes.
- Jonathan Swift,Thoughts on Various Subjects from Miscellanies (1711-1726)
- Buckle shoes, bow shoes,
Pretty pointy-toe shoes,
Strappy, cappy low shoes;
Let's have some to try.
- Frida Wolfe, Choosing Shoes
- Beauty is a pair of shoes that makes you wanna die.
- Frank Zappa, You Are What You Is, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (1981)