Sikander Bakht (24 August 1918 – 23 February 2004) was an Indian politician belonging to the Indian National Congress, the Janata Party and, finally, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He was elected as the Vice President of the BJP, served its leader in the Rajya Sabha, and as a cabinet minister in the NDA government headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee. In 2000, he was awarded Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian honour of the Government of India.
Quotes about Sikander Bakht
- In his death we have lost a prominent public personality and a statesman.
- The President of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam in "The Hindu: President, PM pay tributes to Bakht". Chennai, India. 25 February 2004. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Mr. Bakht was a freedom-fighter. He struggled for democracy and the nationalist cause with courage and conviction. He rendered distinguished service as a member of my Cabinet for sometime.
- As for BJP Muslims, I have interviewed Sikander Bakht, but then I realize that some Indian Muslims refuse to recognize him as a Muslim after his marriage to a Hindu lady who didn’t convert.
- Elst, K. Let's combat communalism. in : Elst, Koenraad. The Problem with Secularism (2007)