Soap (TV series)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Soap (1977–1981) is an American sitcom, airing on ABC, that was a night-time parody of daytime soap operas.
- 1 Season 1
- 1.1 Episode 1 [1.01]
- 1.2 Episode 2 [1.02]
- 1.3 Episode 3 [1.03]
- 1.4 Episode 4 [1.04]
- 1.5 Episode 5 [1.05]
- 1.6 Episode 6 [1.06]
- 1.7 Episode 7 [1.07]
- 1.8 Episode 8 [1.08]
- 1.9 Episode 9 [1.09]
- 1.10 Episode 10 [1.10]
- 1.11 Episode 11 [1.11]
- 1.12 Episode 12 [1.12]
- 1.13 Episode 13 [1.13]
- 1.14 Episode 14 [1.14]
- 1.15 Episode 15 [1.15]
- 1.16 Episode 16 [1.16]
- 1.17 Episode 17 [1.17]
- 1.18 Episode 18 [1.18]
- 1.19 Episode 19 [1.19]
- 1.20 Episode 20 [1.20]
- 1.21 Episode 21 [1.21]
- 1.22 Episode 22 [1.22]
- 1.23 Episode 23 [1.23]
- 1.24 Episode 24 [1.24]
- 1.25 Episode 25 [1.25]
- 2 Cast
- 3 External links
Episode 1 [1.01]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] Remember the Tates? Jessica and her husband Chester? Chester's the guy who fools around with everyone but his wife. And poor Jessica, because Chester's been so busy, has taken up with Peter the tennis pro, who in turn has been busy with Jessica's daughter Corrine. Of course, Jessica doesn't know Peter's been busy with Corrine and Chester's been busy with everyone. Jessica just wishes she had gone shopping instead. Remember the DoD Police? Mid-Shift Meanie Michelle has a problems. Being paid to work is not agreeable with her Tae-Bo schedule. Playing too much is another problem Michelle has.. Someone ordered her a knuckle sandwich and that delivery is imminent is the word on the street . Jodie and Burt have a problem, they don't get along either. Michelle and Brandon have a problem, Brandon can't make love to Michelle and she doesn't know why. Geoff has the biggest problem of all, he knows why.
Episode 2 [1.02]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] Remember the Tates? Jessica and her husband Chester? Chester's the guy who fools around with everyone but his wife. And poor Jessica, because Chester's been so busy, has taken up with Peter the tennis pro, who in turn has been busy with Jessica's daughter Corrine. Of course, Jessica doesn't know Peter's been busy with Corrine and Chester's been busy with everyone. Jessica just wishes she had gone shopping instead. Remember the Campbells? Jessica's sister Mary and her second husband Burt? The Campbells have problems. Mary has two problems, her son Danny is in the Mob. Her son Jodie is gay. Danny and Burt have a problem. They don't get along. Jodie and Burt have a problem, they don't get along either. Mary and Burt have a problem, Burt can't make love to Mary and she doesn't know why. Burt has the biggest problem of all, he knows why. He murdered her first husband. We begin this week's episode of Soap shortly after Jessica's tennis lesson.
- [Mary walks in to find her son, Jodie, wearing womens' clothing]
- Mary: Jodie?! What in the world are you doing?
- Jodie: Ma...
- Mary: Look at you! My wig, my necklace, my best dress-- Oh! You wear that belted!
- Jodie: Yes.
- Mary: I never thought of wearing it belted. It looks much better that way.
- Jodie: Sure. It breaks up the straight line here, and then it just blouses slightly at the waist.
- Mary: Well, that's much more slimming.
- Jodie: Definitely.
- Mary: Jodie, get out of my clothes.
- Jodie: Mother! Sit down.
- Mary: Jodie! Come on!
- Jodie: Mother, how would you like a daughter?
- Mary: What are you talking about?
- Jodie: Sit down, Mom.
- Mary: Jodie, just tell me.
- Jodie: I'm thinking of having a sex-change operation.
- Mary: [laughs] A sex-change operation. A sex-change operation.
- Jodie: Right.
- Mary: I better sit down.
Episode 3 [1.03]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, we discovered not only Jessica and her daughter are having an affair with Peter the tennis pro, but that Peter is Burt Campbell's long lost son. As for Burt Campbell, Mary's second husband, he can no longer make love to her. But this is nothing because Burt doesn't know that Mary's son Danny, in order to leave the Mob, has to kill the man who killed his father. Danny doesn't know that that man's Burt yet. Mary's other son Jodie is contemplating becoming her daughter. Life is also not exactly a bed of roses for Jessica's husband Chester, his affair with his secretary Claire has become complicated by the fact that she is now blackmailing him. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap. We begin this week's episode of Soap shortly after Peter's arrival at the Tate home.
- Burt: I just can't believe it. I cannot believe it! I mean, it's just a small, small world. I can't get over it! I mean, my long, lost son from Hawaii comes to Connecticut and winds up teaching my sister-in-law and her daughter tennis.
- Benson: Bet that ain't all he teaches!
- Burt: And then, and this is really incredible, my sister-in-law and her daughter don't know they have the same tennis teacher. Plus which, he doesn't know they are mother and daughter. And then... and then to top it all off, no one, but no one knows he's my son!
- Chester: So what, Burt?
- Burt: So, it's a small, small world. And, I can't get over it. Can you?
- Chester: Yes.
Episode 4 [1.04]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Mary realizes that Jessica and Corrine are playing something other than tennis with Peter the tennis pro. Neither Jessica nor Corrine realize that they are both engaged in a game of mixed doubles. Jessica is so overwhelmed with guilt, she attempts to confess her affair to Chester, but Chester isn't listening because he is so overwhelmed by his secretary Claire's blackmail attempts. Meanwhile, at the Campbell's, Mary has threatened to move out unless Burt and Danny try to get along. Getting along with his stepfather Burt becomes even more difficult for Danny once the Godfather tells him Burt was the man who killed his father. Since the Mob will kill Danny if he doesn't kill Burt, Danny realizes trying to please his mother will be a problem. But Mary's problems don't end there, since her other son Jodie is about to become her daughter. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Billy: Sex. We also learned it in school. Of course in school they teach us about chickens and fruit flies mating. You know?
- Jessica: Chester, what would a chicken see in a fruit fly?
Episode 5 [1.05]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Chester's secretary Claire had arranged for Chester's mistress Pigeon to find them together at lunch, thus ending Chester's relationship with Pigeon. But that's not all, Claire has threatened to repost Chester's illegal business activities, if Chester doesn't divorce Jessica. Jessica has tried to end it with Peter but couldn't, but tells Mary she'll see him again to see if she can. Jodie has found that his quarterback boyfriend, in order to protect his image, has a girlfriend. Jodie tells him since he's planning a sex change operation for that very same reason, his boyfriend can get rid of his girlfriend. Danny has tried to follow the Godfather's order's to kill Burt but couldn't. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Eunice: It's incredible we have something in common.
- Jodie: Yeah, we both date guys.
Episode 6 [1.06]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Danny once again tried to kill Burt, but couldn't. Corrine tried to talk Father Timothy Flotsky into leaving the church and going with her but couldn't. Unable to have the only man she wanted, Corrine decided to move in with Peter. Meanwhile, Jessica was telling Peter she could never see him again. Corrine walked in and found her mother kissing Peter, little did she know her mother was kissing him off. Corrine, unable to have Father Tim, the man she wants, can't live with him and finding the man she has with her mother, cant live at home and since she has to live somewhere, she decides to move in with Peter anyway. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Corinne: I'm moving in with Peter Campbell... who's also having an affair with mother.
- Eunice: Mother? Our mother? The mother downstairs? Jessica? The redhead?
- Corinne: That's the one.
- Eunice: I can't believe it. I mean, it took me twenty years to believe she did it with Daddy.
Episode 7 [1.07]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Jessica apologized to Corrine for having an affair with Peter, but Corrine refused to forgive her mother and moved out of the house and in with Peter, leaving Jessica sad and Chester mad. Burt received a telegram announcing the arrival of his other son Chuck and Chuck's little wooden doll, Bob, who Chuck thinks is real. The Godfather gave Danny a key to a cabin in the woods, where a gun is hidden in the fire place and told him he must take Burt there within two days and kill him or the Mob will kill Danny. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Bob: [to Chuck] I love your family. This is great. Your father just laughs and stutters. The dame just sits. One guy's a fruit and the other guy's got an IQ slightly higher than kelp.
Episode 8 [1.08]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, another of Burt's sons, Chuck, and Bob, his wooden doll, arrived from Hawaii. Much to their horror, the Campbells discovered that Chuck believes that Bob is really real. Although he really isn't real, he is really obnoxious. Claire told Chester she was going to tell Jessica everything, but Chester didn't believe her. Much to Chester's surprise, Claire did tell Jessica everything, only Jessica didn't believe her. Or did she? Following the Godfather's orders, Danny invited Burt to a cabin in the woods in order to kill him. Burt thought he was going in order to fish. Imagine his surprise when he found a pistol pointed at his head. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap. We begin this week's episode where we left off, with Danny about to kill Burt.
- Danny: It's a business trip.
- Jodie: Hey come on, Danny. I know what business you're in. We'll get a lawyer. We'll go to the police.
- Danny: If we go to the police, I'll be in jail when they kill me. If we get a lawyer, I'll be broke when they kill me.
Episode 9 [1.09]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In Last week's episode of Soap, Danny, unable to kill Burt, now has to run for his life so the Mob won't kill him. Since this news would kill his mother, Danny told her that he was going off to be a spy. So far he has been able to fool Mary, but not the Mob, because when Danny appeared in disguise at the Tate dinner party, the Mob tried to kill him. Fortunately, Danny got away. Unfortunately, Bob the dummy got hit. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Mary: I have one son who's about to become my daughter, another son whom people are trying to kill, I have a lunatic stepson and a dummy living in my home and a husband who won't make love to me. That's not life, that's something by Tennessee Williams!
Episode 10 [1.10]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In Last week's episode of Soap, Jodie checked into the hospital to become a girl, and wound up meeting a girl who would like him to stay a guy. Danny has been running around in disguises, running from the Mob. So far Danny has not been caught, but Chester has been. Jessica met Mary for lunch and saw him kissing Claire. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap. We begin this weeks episode of Soap shortly after Jessica and Mary saw Chester and Claire.
- Jessica: I think that there is a curse on this family.
- Benson: Well, if there isn't, there should be.
Episode 11 [1.11]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Jessica convinced herself that Chester's infidelity and all the bad things that had befallen the Tates and the Campbells are the result of a curse. But even though they're cursed, she's still not too thrilled with Chester. The Godfather came looking for Danny, but Danny was dressed up as a Rabbi, and instead of getting killed, Danny got a contribution. Burt, who came away from Doctor Medlow thinking he could, couldn't, because Mary, upset over the day's events, wouldn't. Dennis told Jodie there was no need for a sex change operation, because he's decided to marry a girl. On hearing the news, Jodie swallowed the contents of the pill cart for the entire west wing of University Hospital. Confused? you won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Barney: I don't know. I don't know what the world is coming to anymore. When a gay man who was thinking of becoming a woman then decides on suicide turns out to be the most normal member of the family.
Episode 12 [1.12]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Jessica admitted her affair to Chester but Chester wouldn't admit his affairs to Jessica, so Jessica walked out on him. Corrine caught Peter nibbling another woman's ear and told him if she ever caught him fooling around she would kill him. Jodie, who tried to kill himself because Dennis left him, woke up alive. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap. We begin this week's episode of Soap the morning after Jessica walked out on Chester.
- Eunice: Tell mother I won't be home this evening. I'm flying to Washington to cover Congressman McCallum's press conference.
- Benson: And then she's gonna cover McCallum.
Episode 13 [1.13]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Jessica came back after walking out on Chester, and told him if he was ever unfaithful again she'll leave him for good. Jessica then went to visit Corrine, only Corrine wasn't there, but Peter was and with another woman. Jessica was so angry that Peter was cheating on her daughter, she threatened to kill him. Corrine came home later and also found Peter with another woman, upset she checked into a motel, called Father Tim and said she was going to kill herself. Father Tim rushed over and found Corrine wasn't going to kill herself, she only felt like killing herself. Actually, Peter was the one she really wanted to kill. And Peter, who was taking a shower after his busy day, much to his surprise, was in fact killed. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap. We begin this week's episode the morning after Burt was able and Mary was willing.
- Chief Tinkler: What can assume from the fact that he was stabbed, strangled, shot, suffocated, and bludgeoned?
- Jodie: That he didn't commit suicide.
- Chief Tinkler: We can assume that Peter Campbell either had many killers or he had one killer who really hated his guts.
Episode 14 [1.14]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In the last episode of Soap, Chief Tinkler informed the Tates and the Campbells that they are all suspects in the murder of Peter Campbell, the tennis pro, because all of them had a motive and most of them don't have and alibi. Chester, who knew Jessica had had an affair but didn't know who she had an affair with, found out her affair had been with Peter. Of course, before his death. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap. We begin this week's episode of Soap shortly after Chief Tinkler has left the stunned families.
- Jessica: I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, I told you I had had an affair. I mean you did know about it.
- Chester: But I didn't know who, Jessica. I didn't know who you were having your affair with.
- Jessica: Well I should think it would come as a relief.
- Chester: A relief?
- Jessica: Yes. Doesn't it make you feel better to know I had an affair with someone who's dead? I mean someone who's dead now.
Episode 15 [1.15]
- Police Chief Tinkler: [while questioning Corrine] A lot of people knew you two weren't getting along.
- Jessica: Well of course, they weren't getting along, they were living together. I mean who ever heard of people living together and getting along. It's people who don't live together who get along. That's why one hears about so few divorces among them.
Episode 16 [1.16]
- Heinrich: You could have killed Peter because you were jealous. He was white. You are black. He had women, youth, freedom. You? You've got an apron, maybe a decent time-step.
- Benson: Let me tell you something you little Nazi shrimp. Now you can talk to them any way you want to. But now you talkin' to me, Benson and I personally have had it with your shouting, and your bullying, and your spitting. Nobody here killed anyone... not yet.
- Heinrich: We have precedence for this kind of homosexual behavior. Not in Germany of course. We have no homosexuals in Germany. They are in Austria. Or Switzerland.
- Jodie: Where in Switzerland?
- Heinrich: Impotence? How classically American! A problem we do not have in Germany! No impotence, no smog...
- Bob: No Jews...
Episode 17 [1.17]
- Benson: [visiting Jessica in jail] I'm with the firm of Honeycutt, Pringle, Kaplan, and Black. I'm Black.
- Chester: Why are you posing as a lawyer?
- Benson: [while visiting Jessica] Cause I couldn't get in to see her as a butler.
Episode 18 [1.18]
- Mary: Why in the world are you doing this?
- Jessica: Oh Mary, let's face it; being a suspected murderess I am nothing but a burden to Chester and an embarrassment to the entire family. Now if I were needed there, that would be one thing. I mean I would still be a burden and a stigma but I would be a needed one.
- Jodie: The door was locked, Burt.
- Burt: Of course it was locked. I'm takin' a bath.
- Danny: Burt, you've been in here a day and a half now.
- Burt: So what are we doing now, timing people in the bathroom?
Episode 19 [1.19]
- Jessica: Chester, all my life people have always believed me. See I have that kind of face. My mother once said to me "Jessica, with a face like that you could get away with murder."
- Mr. Mallu: [referring to Danny, Jodie, Chuck and Bob, and Burt] I have for character witnesses Al Capone, Tinkerbell, Punch and Judy, and the Invisible Man.
Episode 20 [1.20]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Burt, who thinks he's invisible, went to see Dr. Medlow. Since he isn't really invisible, Dr. Medlow saw Burt, and from what he saw, he suggested to Mary that she see about having him committed. While Eunice hid on a ledge to avoid being caught by congressman McCallum's wife, a nervous McCallum mistakenly gave the blackmailer's phographs to the New York News. In these photos, he and Eunice are definitely overexposed. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Burt: I love bagels. Even though they are one of mankind's most dangerous foods which is something most people don't know. For instance, there's actually no safe way to slice a bagel. Except maybe you get someone to go it for you. You have no idea how many people have sliced an index finger in half along with a bagel.
- Walter: You sure took your time getting here.
- Eunice: Took my time? I'm standing on a ledge in a rainstorm and I took my time. What was I supposed to do? Jump down 38 floors on a messenger to stop him?
- Walter: No, my luck you'd miss.
Episode 21 [1.21]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Elaine told Danny that if he tried to put an end to their relationship, she would have her father put an end to Danny. Burt ended up agreeing to go to an institution where he could hopefully put an end to his invisibility. Meanwhile, Jessica might end up behind bars since the judge she's ended up with once invested and lost $40,000 with Chester. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Jessica: [arriving late in court] We simply could not find a parking spot outside. I thought surely there would be one reserved for the defendant, but there wasn't. Everything was marked "Official Parking Only." And Chester said, "This is just another example of the idiotic inefficiency of the judicial system."
- Carol: And you're Jodie?
- Jodie: You sound surprised.
- Carol: You're the suicidal homosexual?
- Jodie: Do we have mutual friends?
- Carol: Well no, no it just says uh-
- Jodie: What did you expect? That I'd be in a dress with a noose around my neck?
- Carol: I guess what threw me is that you're so adorable.
- Jodie: Most suicidal homosexuals are.
Episode 22 [1.22]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Danny brought Elaine home to meet the family. Despite Burt's invisibility, Mary's hostility, Jodie's homosexuality, and Chuck and Bob's insanity, Elaine wants to marry him anyway. Perhaps she doesn't plan on having children. Meanwhile at Jessica's trial, Mallu's assistant Carol has asked Jodie out even though he's gay. Jodie has accepted even though she's a girl. Jessica turned her trial into a tea party, and then tried to leave when the prosecutor said nasty things about her and spoiled the fun. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- [Benson is on the stand]
- Mr. Franklin: Amazing recall, Mr. Benson. Absolutely amazing retention of detail.
- Benson: Thank you.
- Mr. Franklin: Tell me. Is this some sort of voodoo way of knowing that you people have or what?
- Mr. Mallu: I object.
- Benson: I do too.
- Mary: [about Elaine] Danny, she's awful. She's selfish and sarcastic, pushy, tactless, cruel, and obnoxious.
- Danny: And her father will kill me if I don't marry her.
- Mary: People can change.
Episode 23 [1.23]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode of Soap, Burt checked into the mental institution to try and cure his invisibility, while Carol has lured Jodie away for the weekend to try to put an end to his homosexuality. Meanwhile prosecutor Franklin has promised Judge Petrillo a surprise witness who will put an end to Jessica. Confused? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Mary: Burt's missing. They checked all the rooms at bedtime, and he wasn't there.
- Bob: He never was, if you know what I mean.
- Mary: What if he never comes home?
- Bob: Drinks are on me.
- Jessica: [to Mr. Mallu] I'm afraid you'll have to cancel court this morning. I have to take Billy to the pediatrician.
Episode 24 [1.24]
- Narrator: [Opening Narration] In last week's episode, Jodie surprised Carol by agreeing to spend the weekend with her. Corinne surprised ingrid by walking out on her. Burt really surprised Mary by telling her he killed her first husband And speaking of surprises, Mrs. Fine, the surprise witness, surpised everyone by testifying that she heard Jessica threaten to kill Peter Campbell. Surprised? You won't be after this week's episode of Soap.
- Jodie: I don't know what's with you, Carol. I mean we agree we're coming up here as friends. Then you tell me you've rented a two bedroom cottage. We get here and one room, one bed and knowing I'm gay you're absolutely amazed when I don't turn out to be Burt Reynolds.
- Carol: I thought you'd be different here. Away from everything, in the country, all this clean air.
- Jodie: Clean air? Carol, I'm a homosexual not an asthmatic.
- Chester: Oh Benson, I need strong coffee. I was so worried about the trial I didn't sleep a wink last night.
- Benson: Me neither.
- Chester: You were up worrying too?
- Benson: Yup.
- Chester: Oh I wish I'd known.
- Benson: Yeah.
- Chester: Sure. I would've had someone to talk to.
- Benson: I wish I'd have known too. Cause that would've put me to sleep.
Episode 25 [1.25]
- Carol: Jodie, why can't we live together?
- Jodie: Carol, I'm gay. Listen the other night was nice. It really was and I've told you that but I'm still gay. Hey listen occasionally I'll have a burrito, I'm not Mexican.
- Corinne: You're asking me to marry you?
- Father Tim: No, I've gone to my superiors and asked to be released from my vows because I want to go steady.
- Katherine Helmond - Jessica Tate
- Robert Mandan - Chester Tate
- Jimmy Baio - Billy Tate
- Diana Canova - Corinne Tate Flotsky
- Sal Viscuso - Father Timothy Flotsky
- Jennifer Salt - Eunice Tate-Leitner
- Donnelly Rhodes - Dutch Leitner
- Arthur Peterson - The Major
- Cathryn Damon - Mary Campbell
- Richard Mulligan - Burt Campbell
- Jay Johnson - Chuck and Bob Campbell
- Ted Wass - Danny Dallas
- Billy Crystal - Jodie Dallas
- Robert Urich - Peter Campbell
- Robert Guillaume - Benson
- Roscoe Lee Browne - Saunders
- Rod Roddy - Narrator