Something's Gotta Give (film)
Something's Gotta Give is a 2003 American romantic comedy film, written, produced and directed by Nancy Meyers for both Columbia Pictures and Warner Bros. It stars Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton as a successful 60-something and 50-something, who find love for each other at a different time of life, despite being complete opposites. Amanda Peet and Keanu Reeves co-star, with Frances McDormand, Paul Michael Glaser, Jon Favreau and KaDee Strickland playing key supporting roles.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Erica: I'm like the dumb girl that doesn't get it. I've never been the dumb girl before. It ain't great.
- Harry: Let's just calm down. I had these plans before I even met you. I mean, I do like seeing you. I do.
- Erica: [scoff] Yeah.
- Harry: I'm always surprised by it.
- Erica: Surprised by it? What was I thinking?
- Harry: I have never lied to you, I have always told you some version of the truth.
- Erica: The truth doesn't have versions, okay?
- Harry: Will you cut me a little slack? My life has just been turned upside down.
- Erica: Mine too!
- Harry: Well, then let's just each get our bearings.
- Erica: I don't want my bearings. I've had my bearings my whole goddamn life. I feel something with you I never really knew existed. Do you know what that's like, after a 20-year marriage to feel something for another person that is so...? That... Oh, Right. Right. Not your problem. God. Do you know that I've written this, but I never really got it? Do you know what this is?
- Harry: No.
- Erica: [Erica kisses Harry] This is heartbroken. How that's for impervious.
- Harry: You're killing me.
- Erica: I just wish that it had lasted more than a week.
- Harry: Me too.
- Erica: That's a terrible thing to say. You know, the life I had before you I knew how to do that. I could do that forever. But now, look at me. What am I going to do? What am I going to do with all this?
- Harry: Erica. Can you wait just a second? The truth is, I... I just... I don't know how to be a boyfriend.
- Erica: That's what you have to say after all of this? That you don't know how to be a boyfriend?
- Harry: That's not a small thing.
- Erica: [shakes head] Are we done?
- Harry: I don't know.
- Erica: Oh, my god.
[Erica gets in taxi and drives away]
- Erica: Are you crying?
- Erica: Yeah. It's my new thing. I've gotten abnormally brilliant at it.
- Marin: Why? What is it?
- Erica: I'm in love. Ain't it great? Seems like I got to learn how to do that... love-them-and-leave-them stuff, you know?
- Marin: Oh, Mom. I hate this. Now do you get my theory about all this? You got to self-protect.
- Erica: You don't really buy this stuff you say, do you? You don't actually think that you can outsmart getting hurt?
- Marin: I think it's worth trying.
- Erica: Listen to me. You can't hide from love for the rest of your life because maybe it won't work out... maybe you'll become unglued? It's just not a way to live.
- Marin: Are you telling me this is good? What's happened to you?
- Erica: I think you should consider the possibility that you and I are more alike than you realize. I let someone in, and I had the time of my life.
- Marin: I've never had the time of my life.
- Erica: I know, baby. And I say this is from the deepest part of my heart. What are you waiting for?
- Jack Nicholson as Harry Sanborn
- Diane Keaton as Erica Barry
- Keanu Reeves as Julian Mercer
- Amanda Peet as Marin Klein
- Frances McDormand as Zoe
- Jon Favreau as Leo
- Paul Michael Glaser as Dave Klein
- Rachel Ticotin as Dr. Martinez
- KaDee Strickland as Kristen